MBR and Track 0 partition?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by raybro, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raybro

raybro Registered Member

I have successfuly created an Acronis bootable 40GB HDD connected to my laptop via USB thanks to instuctions created by Mudcrab and I thank him for that. However, during the process I somehow (probably my own inattention) I now have as part of a full backup file a partition labeled "MBR and track 0" that does not show up on the menu when creating a backup, but does show when starting a restore process. The lable is consistant with the "Empty partitions" needed to make the external drive bootable into Acronis. I have reformatted the storage partition on the external drive and went through the process again with the same result. So I assume the partition is real on the C:\ drive. It does not show up in Disk Management on either the internal or external drives.

This does not seem to be causing any kind of operational problem, but I'm concerned that an actual restore may change that. It appears I inadvertantly installed the MBR and Track 0 on my C:\ drive while configuring the external drive. I don't remember any glitch in the process, but my memory and focus are not what they once were. Memory is the second thing to go, ya know. :doubt:

Is there some way to remove that partition, or even find it? Do I need to remove it?

Any input or recommendation with this question will be much appreciated...

Raybro

EDIT.. I just finished creaing a backup of my external drive on my C:\ drive. Then I initiated a recovery process and that same partition is present there as I expected it would be. I read through the details about the MBR and Track 0 on mudcrab's tutorial, but It's not clear to me whether the partition should be present on the C:\ drive.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Raybro:

The MBR/Track 0 information is not a partition. It is a backup of the first 63 sectors on the hard disk and is saved automatically when doing a backup with TI versions 9 and higher. It is there so that you can restore a custom boot loader like Acronis OS Selector, Linux GRUB, etc., if you are using one.

If you followed MudCrab's tutorial then you are using a "standard" boot loader, so it won't matter at all if you do or do not restore it. You can ignore it, or you can restore it; it won't make any difference on your drive.

3. raybro

raybro Registered Member

Thanks k0lo.. That was my intuitive thought about it, but my intuition has gotten me in trouble more than once :gack: . 'Preciate the response

Raybro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.