MBAM versus Screen Saver

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Oct 12, 2016.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is a main one of the 3 scanners I use on my computer every so often. MBAM takes a long while to run, so my screensaver always gets activated while MBAM is still scanning. When I return to check results, MBAM is gone. No report.

QUESTIONS:
    1- Does the absence of a report of results mean that MBAM found my computer to be clean? OR (on the other hand) does the lack of a report mean that the activation of my screen saver caused MBAM to quit?

2- Isn't the screen saver supposed to activate ONLY when the computer is idle? If so, doesn't the fact that MBAM is running mean that the computer is NOT idle?

2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I'm guessing the screensaver detects if the mouse is moving or not then start after awhile.

3. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Why don't you change it to blank? I never use screensavers.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

No, even if no threats are found the MBAM window should stay open. Something is making it crash.

5. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

bellgamin, are you saying that there is no scan result showing in MBAM's application log? Also, in Windows, the screensaver only activates if there is no activity on an input device such as a keyboard, mouse, or trackpad. Software activity will not keep a standard screensaver from starting.

Can you share what screensaver you are using? I am pretty sure that my screensaver activates while MBAM is running with no bad outcomes.

6. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@ hamlet - I'm using Microsoft's built-in 3D Flower Box.

@ hiltihome - I installed the jiggler. Thanks for the tip!!

8. quietman

quietman Registered Member

.... my edit above ^

I have always used " Don't Sleep " ( free from softwareok.com ) when I want to leave a lengthy process running unattended .
    It's a great little utility and highly configurable .

I started out coding a similar thing for myself years ago until it entered my thick head to search first :)

9. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I activated Mystify screensaver and then installed MBAM (scan IS kind of lengthy). When HD light went off, I made screensaver go away and the MBAM interface was still there.

Is there anything similar on the Malwarebytes forums?

10. boredog

boredog Registered Member

quietman

I was just looking at the don't sleep site and they are listing up to windows 8.1 but not 10. do you know if it works on 10?

ok scratch that!!!! I looked again and even though the one part I was referring to doesn't list 2 other places do.

11. guest

guest Guest

Since last year "Don't Sleep" has support for Windows 10:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.