MBAM / SuperAntispyware - The Big Hype

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadowcastpm, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowcastpm

shadowcastpm Registered Member

I am begginning to become a little tired of the huge "hype" people are making regarding these anti-malware tools. I have used / tested both thouroughly and the outcome was very poor.

People seem to suggest theses names, though I never see any evidence of detection rates etc. I am not saying these are bad scanners (considering they're free) but in my opinion they fail to make the grade.

I just don't see how any of these free products have a hope in hell of competing with any commerical products, and before some smart allec decides to say "Well they're not meant to", it's no use having a free "antimalware" product that can't keep up with the threat of malware.

To anyone who is looking for a decent antimalware setup I strongly suggest you use Avira AntiVir or Avast and a-squared antimalware (which can't be beaten on trojan detection, multiple dialy updates, very impressive detecion rates to)

The other two products that drives me mad when these "so called security experts" reccomend are Spybot and Adaware. They are has-been products, they were good in thier day, but they focus on bloody cookies and active x controls more than spyware. I have some pitty for SBSD, becuase they do concentrate on rouge products, but they are the cause of the most of them in the first place... Cripled code.

It just seems like another Firefox episode, Firefox never become popular becuase of its "extensive features" and "security", it became popular becuase it was marketed extremley well. Hail Opera.

Rant over.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

More specfic about MBAM and SAS?

3. shadowcastpm

shadowcastpm Registered Member

They both focus on the popular malware, which the majority of commerical products have already implemented into thier databases. These large corporations have dedicated teams to tackle zero day threats, they independant companies don't have the time or recources.

My point is, I don't like people reccomending products that do not make the grade, more so, products that are of poor quality. I am all for free products, for example Comodo are excellent, they're firewall in among the best, though they have financial support, and it shows in the quality of thier software.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

*Ahem* Let me use a phrase I often use in my online games:

*Wall of BS crits you for 3500* *You die*.

Now that I have called it what it is, which is indeed a lot of BS, let me ask you, where is your proof? Show me results. If they both focus on the popular malware that is also already in commercial products, then how in Gods good name do they fail? They both have EXCELLENT records, and frankly, you're either a fanboy from one of the commercial forums, or just completely lost.

5. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

hmmm...IIRC A2 really failed to keep up with vundo variants and its unessecary to comment about rustock. SAS has never failed to clean a hosed machine fo me when rogues and nifty malware kept killing AVs of popular trends like candy stealing from babies...i am not trying to say something with this statement...
    SAS does what is supposed to do and it does it well...focuses on things that most av's miss nowadays..and yes,rustock is still only detected/prevnted effectively from just 2 blacklisting products for example(i mean big vendor ones)...so..you got me..i cleaned my fair share of vundos(with sas) and rogues(mbab-rr free) and will keep faith in them..

6. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I use both and back both programs with cash support. There great programs and deal with malware with force, I find it hard to believe you don't support them either....Prevx Edge is another I cash support and its great too.:thumb:

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Question for you... if MBAM is "hype" (and has such poor test results and shows you no evidence of detection rates), why do popular security clean up forums like Gladiator, DSLReports, MajorGeeks, SpywareInfo, WhattheTech and bleepingcomputer all use it to clean infected machines?

8. Boost

Boost Registered Member

No evidence to support your claims so your post is useless,period.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

There are plenty of threads discussing these two programs on the forums. We don't need another one.

Thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.