MBAM PRO / SAS PRO = Useless gimmick

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by berryracer, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

The 2 companies tell you that you must not rely on their product as a solte security solution / antivirus as it is NTO an antivirus...

All antivirus companies advice you not to have more than one real time security product at the same time as that will cause havoc

Yes you can setup exclusions for both the antivirus / MBAM Pro or SAS PRO and i've tried that, i've setup the exclusions properly in both programs and upon accessing some large movie files....I would occasionally get a whoel system freeze while in full screen for example if I quickly try to move between diff. portions of the movie (seekbar) and many other weird issues....

So my take on the so called PRO versions of these programs is nothing but a gimmick that is made to make money.

I am not bashing these 2 companies as I respect them for the great products they made and in fact, I own a lifetime license for both of them but NEVER EVER use them due to the above points...I just bought them out of support to the 2 companies but really, one should never use the Pro versions of these products as they can't be relid on solely, and they don't work properly with another antivirus on the system!

Please don't jump in saying: "I have been running MSE + MBAM Pro for a long time and had no problems" ...... that's what I thought too! Until recently I used to get that weird bug when playing these video files.....I could have never thought it was MBAM Pro + my Antivirus clashing........the moment I exited MBAM PRO everything worked perfectly!

I will use them now only as on-demand scanners

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

All I know is that a couple of friends have been infected while using a top rated, up-to-date AV only. In both cases MBAM found and removed the malware , a rogue that the AV did not find and could not remove, with a Quick Scan. The infection would have been detected and blocked with MBAM running.

I might change AVs, but anything that will not run with MBAM Pro will not be considered.

However, each of us make his own choice. If you do not like the subject applications, then do not use them. But I would not be without MBAM, and also use SAS Pro on demand. I am not convinced by your post. I have never had any problem with either running along side any AV including, Avast, Avira, KIS, F-Secure, and Norton.

You will probably be fine with using them on-demand, and that seems to be what most users do with the free versions.

Jerry

3. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Well you're already convinced of your own opinion, and the futility of our own successful experiences with MBAM's realtime guard - so what do you need to post this in a discussion forum for?

The real-time protection of Malwarebytes detects additional malware on execution that the manual scan doesn't, so clearly it's more than a gimmick. The IP blocking facility was the most consistent URL filter to block infected pages back when all the top results from Google Images were serving malware last year.

I would trust MBAM's realtime guard over most AVs for the average person. In my own testing over the years, it's been stronger than most AVs at stopping relatively new/fresh trojan samples executing - so was a perfect companion to Avira. The only free AV that has consistently been been as good at MBAM in this way has been Panda Cloud AV (in my experience.)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

For thread disclosure I currently run OP FW Pro the prime layer IMHO as it has their version of HIPS. Then I have SAS Pro with real time on.

I have no real time or installed AV product at all although I do have a licence for Nod32 64 bit.

I also have PeerBlock and KeyScrambler.

My setup is much snappier than with Nod32 added and I just run the web based Nod32 tool weekly. It finds nothing so far.

Maybe I just don't surf enough to be on the wild side.:cool:

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Any real time scanners together there is always a chance of conflicks, but there is nothing gimmick about the pro versions of MBAM as It offers IP blocking, malware prevention, live updates and for a one off license. I also think there kind enough too offer a free on demand version that scans and cleans with out asking for a single penny to remove any infection it may have found and does that better then most.

Another thing about MBAM its popular among computer repairs shops in my area for malware removal,that says something in itself right there for malwarebytes.Its not the only go to removal tool but its one of the top ones used for a reason.

If you dont like it dont use it, but saying its useless is far from the truth and just a bashing statement.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  6. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

You found a solution for your own particular system and set of circumstances...that doesn't necessarily translate into a universal finding of fact.

I have licenses for both SAS Pro and MBAM Pro. I haven't run SAS since I can't remember when, I run MBAM Pro in real-time as the mood strikes. I haven't experienced any adverse issues on my system.

My point is this...there are lots of great apps and security software that for one reason or another don't run well or play nice with any given system or set of companion applications.
    It can be from incompatibilities, remnants of prior installations left behind or any number of issues.

I used to run Online Armor happily for years, now it no longer runs well on my system without hogging resources. Do I blame OA when so many others seem to be able to use it without issue? No...The problem is probably on my end.

I tried Outpost Firewall Pro due to the generosity of a friend and forum member. It did not work at all well with my system...causing a variety of issues. Do I blame Outpost and call it a garbage app? No...there is obviously some incompatibility with other security software or perhaps remnants on my system.

I tried to install AppGuard to test it out and it was a complete bust for me from the get-go. With so many great reviews here, guess what? Yep, it's probably an issue with the software on my system.

That said, many other apps run perfectly well on my system...Sandboxie, MBAM Pro, Comodo Firewall, PrivateFirewall, Emsisoft Anti-Malware etc etc etc (not all at the same time, of course).

Trying to translate your frustration or particular set of issues into a declaration of universal truths is doing a service to nobody...not yourself, not your fellow members on this site and certainly not the creators of the security apps which you have blamed for what is probably an issue on your own end.

Food for thought.

7. blasev

blasev Registered Member

"Pay for support, Use as on demand" is will always be my policy on MBAM

so I don't think its as "useless gimmick" , since we can support a very great anti malware.

ps : If they make a new on demand Pro version without real time scan, I'll surely pay for it :D

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think the quote is not to have more than one AV running real time on your computer. It says nothing about running an AV and MBAM Pro real time as I have for quite a few years, or SAS Pro, which I use on demand. As for the rest of your post get me some of what you're smokin'. Just kidding. :)

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Precisely my take on this thread.
    @ the OP... have fun and good luck. :thumb:

10. gdiloren

gdiloren Registered Member

Just read the latest post about MBAM in AVIRA FREE forum. The moderator was saying MBAM Pro conflicted with AVIRA's RP, not MBAM on demand, eventhough the MBAM forum recommends running MBAM Pro alongside your AV RP, no problem. Who to believe?
    I have MBAM Pro and lately experienced some back lash latency upon opening my browsers to the home page. Couldn't understand, was it Open Dns (I recently moved from Norton DNS) or was it the sudden conflict between AVIRA and MBAM RP after the rather frequent software updates of AVIRA? I tried taking OFF every drop of RP and Web Filter Protection in MBAM, stayed 2 days klike that and the problem reappeared. I think it's my firewall (PFW) retaining packets with DNS Crypt in OpenDNS so I switch to port 443 (more secure). I have MBAM Pro RP ON with AVIRA web and RP ON. Nothing clashes so far. Use Superantispyware on demand (which was the only one to find PUP in Cnet download installer of PuranFree Defrag/ 7/35 positives in Virus Total).:rolleyes:

11. d0t

d0t Registered Member

Exactly.

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

MBAM is a useful malware crusher.

13. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Guess he's having some trouble running MBAM on his machine, or just a bad day, but speaking for myself, "useless gimmick" aren't the words that spring to mind about one of the best security programs I know of.

14. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I have used MBAM and SAS as on-Demand Scanners. :thumb:
    BUT I own licenses for Both of them, because I want to support their existence...;)

15. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

100% agree with every word.

I think the OP feels sorry for his money,spent on the Pro version,that's why he's so frustrated.Next time trial the software and don't try to convince other people that MBAM or SAS are gimmicks.If you have a powerful system or an expensive one doesn't mean that any software MUST run perfectly on it or give you the knowledge to figure out these kind of issues that might appear.

but.....
    ...how weird is this?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  16. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

I don't know what to say really. for some it works, for others it won't.
    If you see my signature, I have multiple products running very well with eachother in realtime.

What can I say, I've seen people with problems, posted in the respective product of choice forum/thread, of which the problems are like "I've never heard of this". People having BSOD's or errors I have never encountered before on my own system.
    If every product on the market was the same for every individual then everybody should have, more or less, the same problems.
    The fact that everybody experiences something different or having 'unique' errors proves that not every computer is the same, even with the same OS installed.

Edit: about making money, I've bought licenses for all the products I have in my signature. I don't see a problem with it. In fact, it makes the availability or improvements to future releases more secure (granted it will not guarantee that a certain product will exist forever, that depends on the economy of the producer/company/author of that particular product and numerous other reasons).

English is not my native language, so I hope I explained it well, and my explanation might be subject to improvement or rectification in one way or another, but I hope I gave the general idea in a sensible way.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  17. gdiloren

gdiloren Registered Member

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=112960
    It's the best place to look at advice wheter MBAM Pro RP is gimmick or not with other AV RP. It says properly installed, it's not!!! As said earlier, a moderator in the AVIRA FREE web forum says the contrary:ONLY Avira's RP should be ON. Avira has a antispyware module power.
    It's up to you!!!:)
    P.S.:Of course, that's even with the mutual exclusions included in each security software.

18. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed and thread closed as it outlived its usefulness

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.