MBAM Load with OA Premium & NOD32 v4

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chamlin, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Replacing SpySweeper when it expires in 10 days and want a better combo. Currently running (XP system/dual core) Online Armor Premium and NOD32 and aside from OA's "too often" pop ups, seems to work well for me. (Also use FDISR and True Image, and will get WinPatrol Paid on the 29th.)

If I dump SpySweeper and go with Malwarebytes, what would be best, and why?

1. MBAM Free version and just run a scan from time to time? (Weekly? Monthly?)

2. MBAM Paid version.
    A. On Demand or Real-Time protection? What would be the likely drag on my system?
    B. Are there other advantages to the Paid version even if just running scans from time to time?
    C. Does 1 license legitimately allow for both my PC and my laptop?

Thanks for the guidance!

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

With NOD32 I wouldnt run MBAM in real time. Id use it only as an on demand scanner and thats exactly what I do. It works well for me. Having said that I dont think a paid for license would suite you if you are using NOD32.

3. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Thanks Whitedragon. Now to add one more wrinkle:

Currently using OA Premium and NOD32. Have 6 months left on my OA Premium license and 20 months left on my NOD32. The Free on Friday OA++ brings another dimension:

1. Does it make sense to uninstall NOD32 and just go with OA++? Or keep using NOD32 and just disable the AV portion of OA++o_O

2. With that in mind, would the same guidance hold regarding MBAM? Just use On Demand instead of realtime?

(Firzen771 has responded as follows (thanks!):
    if uve alredy got 20 months of ESET, just keep it and disable OA++'s AV.

4. whitedragon551

NOD32 has a great detection rate. However Ive never seen any testing down with OAs AV scanning capabilites. Id definitely take NOD32 over OA AV any day.

Id use MBAM as on demand only. I run NOD32 AV, PC Tools Firewall (until something else lighter and more effective comes along for x64), MBAM as on demand. Ive also got A-Squared Anti-Malware installed from a previous GAOTD program and Spyware Blaster for system hardening. But the only 2 things running real time are NOD32 and PC Tools Firewall.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am one of the least knowledgeable members here.
    For a time I thought that a good suite was enough for real time. I use KIS.
    However, I have a friend who uses Norton. Whatever one wants to think about Norton, the tests by AVC and others indicate that it is one of the very best.

A few weeks ago that friend was infected by antivir rogue. His Norton was up to date, and he doesn't click on stuff he does not know what it is. The rogue prevented him from downloads. Norton did not detect or find the rogue and was basically helpless to do anything about it.
    I took a CD with MBAM on it, and was able to download it to his system. We did a quick scan, MBAM detected and removed the rogue.

I have no reason to think that if Norton did not prevent or discover the infection that another AV would do so. Accordingly I am now running MBAM alongside KIS. I find no disadvantage, and do believe that my system is more secure now.

So I have to disagree with those who say you do not need something like MBAM running real time no matter how good the AV/suite is.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Online Armor uses the a-squared&Ikraus engine. I know they don't use the Mamutu behavior guard, I don't know if they wrote their own guard or use a2's guard.

7. whitedragon551

Well thats definitely not better than NOD32.

8. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I would have to disagree. A-squared/Ikarus has some of the best detection rates and removal capabilty. Some say that it does have alot of FP's. If your reading this forum you should be able to tell whats a FP and what isn't.

9. whitedragon551

NOD32 has a top notch detection rate as well without the massive amounts of FPs taking alot of the guess work out of the equation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.