MBAM IP Module causes network slowdowns?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dermot7, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Over at avast! they're saying there is a problem and a conflict between avast
    webshield and MBAM Pro.Is MBAM slowing you down also?

Please see:

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Haven't noticed any slowdown with MBAM (1.45 beta with enable protection and website blocking active) and KAV.

3. Hayki

Hayki Registered Member

Yea it slowing down :(

4. BG

BG Registered Member

Have noticed no slow down with NIS2010 and MBAM Pro.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm running MBAM Pro and Avast! V5, so I disabled IP protection and didn't notice a difference. Then I disabled start on boot up, which turned off the Protection. I see a slight difference in speed loading Chrome, but not more than a few seconds. I'll leave MBAM off for a while, and see if there's a noticeable difference overall. If there is I'll report back.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I noticed high cpu usage, the conflict was between uTorrent 2.0 and MBAM Pro, i disabled ip protection and it solved the problem.

7. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello,

I guess I pretty much answered this kind of question on this post:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1648423&postcount=5

Although, it is related to ESET NOD32 4.0, but it is similar to Avast! and probably to Avira Premium as well since these two AVs also scan Http traffic and thus, they also block scripts and bad URLs.

To me, having this feature enabled on MBAM Pro when you already have an AV on your PC scanning Http traffic is similar to having two firewalls running on the same system. Undoubtedly, they are going to conflict with each other.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Carlos

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The only problem I found with disabling ip protection in MBAM, is it re-enables itself when you re-boot. Does any one know how to disable it so it stays off until you manually re-enable it?

9. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Right click on system tray icon and uncheck "start with windows".

p.s. I think this is likely to be of more help twl845?

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&st=0&p=162100&#entry162100

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  10. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I have been running it since it was released to me in the Wilders Giveaway. I have Avast 5 free with only File System Shield and Behavior Shield. I also have Malware Defender with no slowdowns in browsing.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

As much as I like MBAM Pro, it causes sluggishness when I run it, and I believe that there is in fact an issue with avast!. I would rather keep avast! and its shields in effect than mess around with MBAM Pro. One computer in particular reacts very poorly to having MBAM running resident. I'll keep it as an on-demand scanner, but as of this new build, I am not running it real-time. Even when unchecking the 'start with windows' feature, a process still loads (due to having registered the program, I suppose), so I uninstalled then re-installed the free. A case of too many cooks spoiling the stew, when it comes to my setup, I'm sure.

12. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

No slow downs here ... using v1.45 final together w/ Nod32

13. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

I wouldn't like to divert too much from the topic [as started by the OP] but because you brought this up. May I ask how did you manage to get those two working together without any conflicts? Are you using the IP blocking feature [real-time] on MBAM?

I ask because that hasn't been my case.

Thank you

Carlos

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I use MBAM and Eset Smart Security 4 together for a while now, didn't need to do anything to get it working. As far as I know, a lot of MBAM problems with other AV software can be solved by putting MBAM on a delayed start if that wasn't done automatically.

About the network slowdowns, I had it also in 1.44, haven´t tested it in 1.45 yet.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Dermot7, Thanks for the great info. I am using Outpost Pro FW where I download the latest malicious IP's which are blocked. So IP protection on MBAM also is overkill. I discovered last night that MBAM V1.45 was just released. It has the option to selectively disable IP protection. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.