Mayhem malware ropes Linux, UNIX servers into botnets

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=2813

2. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Any news on how this thing is installed in the first place? The net-security.org article says something about a PHP script. Would that be delivered by e.g. a code injection vulnerability in a server? If it's actually exploiting a configuration flaw, a web server vulnerability, etc. that would be useful to know about...

Edit:

https://www.virusbtn.com/virusbulletin/archive/2014/07/vb201407-Mayhem

This is actually really interesting. Kind of reminds me of userspace DLL trojans on Windows. Note the very typical use of LD_PRELOAD for nefarious purposes there... OTOH still no idea how that script executes in the first place. I will assume code injection for now.

Re the conclusions though

My experience is that sysadmins usually enable cron-apt or such, though I might be lucky there. The major problem IMO comes from third-party software (stuff not found in the distro repositories), and also from dumb corporate policies about never updating things that "work fine."

As for running proprietary kernel-mode AV software on Linux, I think the less said on that the better.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  5. Gullible Jones

On a related note, this is a case where something like trusted path execution (namely having a trusted library path, and blocking untrusted library loading) would entirely put the kibosh on the malware. See, whitelisting isn't entirely useless. :p

Edit: I think I have a way of preventing this malware from installing, by making LD_PRELOAD and LD_LIBRARY_PATH empty readonly variables. I will open a discussion of that in the UNIX forum.

Edit 2: nope, it does not work, never mind. :( Give me a minute, I will see if I can find a way to prevent LD_PRELOAD tampering.

Edit 3: Googling is not turning up anything, off to Stack Exchange I go...

Edit 4: now I think of it, restricting LD_PRELOAD would be a very limited approach.

I need to figure out a decent way of dealing with this. TPE would probably be best, but is hard to implement sanely on Linux; and is impractical on some servers due to the way they're set up... argh.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

7. Gullible Jones

Charming. Do blackhats ever get tired of this inanity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.