May be switching from nVidia to AMD

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JohnnyDollar, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

DirectX11 is just around the corner. AMD has released their new HD5000 series chipset with DirectX11 support. One article that I read said nVidia will not have a D11 ready GPU in the retail chain till Feb 2010. I looked at several reviews and am impressed with the HD5850 from AMD. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I do game and I am seriously considering upgrading from my 8800GT to the AMD chip. I have a nVidia mobo, but I don't suppose it matters whether I have a nVidia or AMD video card installed on it does it? Anyone have any suggestions or comments? Is AMD on the same level or even surpassed nVidia now at this point in time? I know there is some big time gamers here in the forum.

Reviews: http://www.thinkdigit.com/Gaming/Review-Roundup-ATI-Radeon-HD5850-gives-the_3493.html

Newegg prices: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...10380048 106793261&name=Radeon HD 5000 series

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It's a close match lately.
    A couple of years ago ATI was generally in the lead, especially when it came to image quality.
    Many years ago ATI was historically horrible, with slow driver releases. But them designed the Catalyst program with a vow to release updated drivers on a monthly cycle, and they've held by that vow.
    In the past year or two nVidia has caught back up to ATI/AMD, and now the differences in performance and image quality are minimal..a couple of frame rates differences at best in most games.

What it comes down to, as it usually has, is look at the games you play, and which brand GPU is better supported by your game(s). Some games run better on one brand GPU, and horrible on the other. Or with some games it doesn't matter.

As a long time hardcore gamer...I came from the nVidia camp (well...3Dfx before that! and maxtrox millenium before that...and...)...but since nVidia and ATI, nVidia..then towards the end of the AGP years I switched to ATI, I still have a few nVidia boards around, but ATI has kept me very happy. I usually get Sapphires ATI products..they're an OEM for ATI.

3. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I didn't realize that ATI was at one point ahead of nVidia. I do know that nVidia generally has more power consumption and is more expensive.

The reviewers at newegg really like Sapphire. Whenever I have looked at the reviews on different models, they usually have been given high ratings.

I am thinking about waiting a little while to see if the prices drop. Right now newegg can't keep them in stock so they must be selling fast.

If one has an AMD, nVidia, or Intel motherboard, it doesn't matter what brand of GPU you use does it? Like having an AMD gpu on a nVidia mobo.
    BTW I read somewhere that Mass Effect 2 will be D11 capable, but I have no idea which card the game would run better on.

4. YeOldeStonecat

You know my train of thought would have come up with that too....nVidia chipset, probably pre-programmed to bluescreen with ATIs...lol.

I haven't read of problems. I haven't researched that subject in depth, but I haven't seen it cause issues.

One of my preferred hardware/networking forums...
    http://hardforum.com/index.php

I hang out in the networking and OS subforums, but they have some great mobo/cpu/vid card forums, and one of their editors, Brent, does a lot of articles on video cards at the main site... http://hardocp.com/

So may want to poke around there to feel more comfy with your choices, before plunking down the cabbage.

5. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Thanks for the links I'll check them out. I guess like anything else one is better off getting more facts and user experiences before impulsively buying new hardware. I can be an impulsive buyer at times but I think I can hold off a little while.lol

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

JohnnyDollar, you can do a side by side video card comparisons at GPUReview. Just FYI.

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Cool thanks for the link.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

JohnnyDollar, you're welcome! Take care.

9. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Well I bought and installed a Sapphire HD5850, haven't played any games yet though. Win7 experience index gave it a 7.7 for both graphics scores. It gave my 8800GT a 6.8. My idle temp for this card is only high 30s to low 40s depending on room temp. Have not put it under a load yet though. I like how it lowers it's clocks when it is not under a load. It came with a Dirt 2 product key. The game releases on December 11th and the key is only good through a Steam account.

I was wanting to register my hardware with either Sapphire or AMD but can't find any pages where I can do that. Do you not have to register Sapphire/AMD gpu's with product model # and serial # to get customer support or warranty work/replacement done? If so anyone have a link?

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

JohnnyDollar, here's the Sapphire RMA/Warranty page. If I'm reading it correctly, there is a 2 year warranty, handled by the Dealer/Reseller, so hang on to your receipt!

11. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Thank you JRViejo, I think I saw that page before and ignored it.:D
    Well I should have checked on this about Sapphire before I ordered it. Sapphire generally has very good ratings for their gpu's from what I have seen though. It has been very hard to get one of these the last few weeks. They are selling fast, no one can keep them in stock. I bought mine through a reseller on Amazon. I like to register my hardware with the manufacturer. I guess that won't be the case with Sapphire though. :doubt:

12. YeOldeStonecat

This page?
    http://www1.sapphiretech.com/en/support/warranty.php

I've never registered vid card or even mobo or CPU with the manufacturer, they always last until I replace them. Sapphire used to (and I believe still does for many brands) actually make the reference boards that other ATI brands (including geniune ATI themselves) will slightly customize with a heat sink fan, stickers, and their own label and boxes. Meaning, if you purchased a ATI powered video card from some other brand..it was probably still made by Sapphire.

I've purchased Sapphire cards in the past (my primary gaming rig still uses one), I never have a problem with them, usually the cost is lower than other brands..they do more of a barebones bundle so you don't have to pay for extra junk you'll never use like other brands. Their website is fast and keeps up to date with the drivers in the download/support section.

Sit back and enjoy your card..it's a fine card.

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Possibly a little late for this subject but I like to get the XFX branded cards They do both nVidia and AMD cards and in most cases (U.S. anyway) they offer a double lifetime warranty (lifetime for you, transferable lifetime to the next owner if you sell it).

14. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Thanks for the link Stonecat. Yeah I always register my hardware when I can just to be on the safe side. :cool: I think I made the right choice. Sapphire has always had real good reviews where I have looked. I am looking forward to doing some DirectX11 gaming.:D

Yeah it is a little too late for that now xxJackxx. I will keep that in mind in the future though when building a new rig for myself or someone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.