May 2016 Windows 10 tests at av-test.org

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IvoShoen, May 30, 2016.

1. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

While we now agree SmartScreen does protect system-wide since Windows 8, can we clear something up which @waters mentioned and @Azure Phoenix alluded to? This is probably where the initial confusion came from.

In the link waters provided in post #40 and also referenced to by @Martin_C it says:

It would appear that drive-by protection is only available for Edge and IE11, and this is what waters meant but was incorrect in saying it was not system-wide. The article linked to explains how SmartScreen protects against this particular attack vector using those two browsers:

In essence, SmartScreen has developed over time to protect in different areas, and this is just one facet of that.

2. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

@TonyW :

Yes, SmartScreen has evolved a lot over the years.

Everything mentioned about SmartScreen earlier are active systemwide no matter what browser used.

The in-browser portion of SmartScreen are active in Edge and IE.

Should you choose Chrome, Firefox or one of the many offspring, then the in-browser portion are provided by Safe Browsing.

3. itman

itman Registered Member

I am interpreting the MS documentation to be that the new drive-by protection only applies to Win 10.

4. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

So out of curiosity, decided to test SmartScreen using AMTSO website
    http://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check-for-desktop-solutions/

On Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer, it manage to block the first EICAR test and also the drive-by test.

On Firefox, those two test downloaded without a problem.
    This doesn't seem to be big issue. Cause if you attempt to execute them SmartScreen will block asking for Administrator approval.

So, it seems the benefit of SmartScreen on Edge and IE is that it will block the files before they are even downloaded.

I will personally still listen to the members here that know much more about AMTSO and/or SmartScreen than simple test like this. Since it probable I did something wrong.

5. waters

waters Registered Member

I meant exactly as TonyW said and he is also correct.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.