Maxthon 4.1.0.4000

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Maxthon 4.1.0.4000 has been released in the past week. Just thought I'd say.

Maxthon

2. DX2

DX2 Guest

Does Maxthon have a password importer like FF?

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

No, not like FF. There's however a "magic fill" function that will save your details under a Maxthon account.

I love Maxthon. Very usable, fine, stable browser, it has replaced Opera for me. The only other browser I am looking at now is Sleipnir. I do wonder why they built code on top of an old WebKit build (535.12), it would have saved them a lot of effort to just use the latest WebKit as it comes.

4. Daveski17

Could it be for security reasons?

5. Firecat

Doubt it, if security holes are being addressed in newer builds, it would have meant less effort for them. They have independently developed Maxthon on top of this old WebKit build (including changes required for standards compliance/correct page display, etc). This is probably a good decision as the latest WebKit builds are removing the ability to use V8 Javascript engine, which Maxthon uses. Makes me wonder if they anticipated the Blink/WebKit split.....

6. Daveski17

It sounds like they know where they're going. Maxthon scores very highly on the HTML5 Test.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I use FF V22 (latest stable build), and it scored 410 points. FF also got 14 bonus points.
    Opera 12.16 (latest stable build) scored 404 points. Opera also got 9 bonus points.
    IE 10 scored 320 points. IE also got 6 bonus points.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  8. Daveski17

Maxthon 4.1.0.4000: 476 with 15 bonus points. :cool:

9. Cutting_Edgetech

I have not use Maxthon in years. I used it after it was first released along with slim browser. Malware writers usually target common applications. I wonder if some of the less popular browsers are more secure. Actually I would say some of the less popular applications in general are more secure. Not limited just to Web Browsers. Pdf readers would be good example of what I have in mind.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Looks like Slim Browser is still around also -http://www.slimbrowser.net/en/-

11. Cutting_Edgetech

I just installed Maxthon Browser. I was interested in seeing where it's development has lead to. Looks really nice so far. I'm also testing the latest beta of Appguard so I can see if AG causes any problems with Maxthon.

12. Daveski17

Maxthon 3 had some really nice skins but it's only recently that they have made better skins for Mx 4. They have also ceased releasing it with a content blocker. I know they have made fantastic strides with its adblocker, even though it isn't quite ABP yet, I do miss the content blocker. Mx's RSS feed kinda makes up for me recently losing my Google feed (along with everyone else). I also worry about Mx extensions being kept up to date. I only really use Maxthon Flag & Flash Block as extra added extensions. It has so much bundled though it doesn't really need much else. WOT would be nice. Or maybe more control over JavaScripting.

13. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

is Maxthon still based on IE in this version? Can it handle Active X?

14. Cutting_Edgetech

I use all kinds of different security add-ons with Firefox. No script will stop most viruses from being able to exploit the browser. I also like Calomel SSL Validation. I do a lot of online purchasing, banking, and managing other money account. Hell.. I would buy my groceries online just to keep from having to make a trip if I could get them delivered lol

15. Daveski17

NoScript is kept well compatible & up to date. However, even Firefox extensions can fail to work with newer versions these days. I tend to blame the Mozilla rapid release cycle. Maxthon upgrades pretty regularly though these days. I don't think that its extensions developers have kept up as well.

16. Firecat

Maxthon will move to Blink eventually as per developer Q&A. A good read:

http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-3480-1-1.html

I suspect it has a lot to do with the fact that the WebKit team removed the V8 support flags in the code.

17. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I used to be a huge supporter of MyIE2/Maxthon, but they really disappointed me bigtime.

I came up with so many suggestions, I think none of them made it into v2.

And v3 and 4 were even worse. :thumbd:

18. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

For some reason i can't copy and past any text with this like i do with Chrome.

19. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

I am a recent "convert" to Maxthon. I really like this browser. My only issue is that I cannot, for some reason, sync my favorites to the Passport or Cloud. It allows me to sync everything else but my favorites.

This happened on my work computer using the latest portable version and at home using the most recent (non-beta) version. Both PC's run Windows 7 64-bit.

20. Daveski17

Safari has a similar problem when copying/pasting & I assume it is a WebKit bug. What I find is that it works fine for most alphanumeric writing but any odd syntax (as in apostrophes & the like) & it only copies the text partially. Although this can be sporadic & work sometimes depending on the text itself. Copying web addresses from the runbar is never a problem, but sometimes copying them from text can be. I have discovered that with difficult text it can be copied piecemeal & you may have to add apostrophes, full stops (periods) & the like yourself manually.

21. Daveski17

I don't use the cloud service (yet) but I would ask on their forums about this.

Maxthon Forums

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.