Maximising Window Opening

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kas, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

What an old chestnut you say. That KAS again trying to wind us all up and cause mayhem, has`nt he got anything better to do ?

I have looked in the forum and found a few threads on this, but no answer to me. One dealt with Firefox, but I have Windows XP Home, OE6 and IE7.

My window on opening IE has started to have a life of it`s own, through nothing I have done or can suspect. It has suddenly started to give me a half screen sometimes and a full screen at others. Exciting really, waiting to guess which I get. Not quite as exciting as playing Russian Roulette with an 0.44 Magnum, but close.

I have looked at dozens of non-maximisation cases on the Internet, done what they say excepting registry heart transplants and the beast takes no notice.

The most common medicine is ;- get the half size screen up, drag it to full size, press and hold down CNTRL, click File and click Exit on the IE toolbar. Next time the window comes up it will remember how it was at shutdown and be fully maximised.

YES and the moon is really a huge pumpkin ! IT DOES`NT remember.

It started to happen out of the blue, perhaps it will go back into the blue, but in the meantime, when I get a half screen I have to maximise it.

I know you are waiting to pounce on this oldie and just tear it to bits and me with it.

Well chaps - what does IE expect of me to make it better ? I promise I never used that last resource - foul language or that two finger salute that drivers are fond of.
    KAS

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

OK Kas, I'll try to be gentle. Click Start > All Programs, find the small icon of Internet Explorer (usually at the list's end) and right click. Select Properties and in the Shorcut tab, under Run, choose Maximized, click OK. Take a breather... don't overexert yourself... follow me to the next paragraph.

Open IE (hopefully it's maximized) and find any link on that browser window. Right Click the link and select Open in new window. If the window did not come up maximized already, use the mouse to resize it. Close the FIRST window and then close the one you just resized. Open IE and from this moment forward (with a wing and a prayer), all your windows should be maximized.

If not, have a Piña Colada, rinse and repeat! ;)

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

A couple of things to try first this,
    Follow the instructions below exactly and your problem should be solved.
    Right click the shortcut icon for IE next to the Start button, choose Properties, change it from 'normal' to 'maximized'. Now open it.
    Now right click any link on the page, choose Open In New Window....don't maximize it....instead, use the mouse to resize it to what you want it to be.
    Now close the FIRST window you opened, and then close the new one you just resized.

Reopen IE from the shortcut icon again, and all windows from now on will be the size you chose and created.
    Or this free program http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer/

Hope this helps you Kas although I can't believe what you tried in your post didn't work it always worked for me. I do kind of remember that different keys would work on different machines ( or maybe it was operating systems) just for the heck of it try stretching the window but instead of holding the ctrl closing IE, try the alt key and close IE and then try the shift and close IE.
    Good luck.
    An aside: Vista does seem to have cleaned up this memory glich.

4. Kas

Kas Registered Member

The input given by this forum is terrific and I thank the two respondents for their advise. Armed with this information and a couple of strong lagers later, the world is a lovely place.

I`ll come clean. I followed your instructions on the IE opening and now it opens full size. So far so good. The Gods are no longer angry on the IE front.

What I have done, is to avoid the IE then iGoogle change-plane shuffle, I have put a shortcut for my Homepage iGoogle on my desktop. Ah, I thought, now it will go straight through to my HP without plodding through that IE spaghetti junction to get to my HP.

But, whist it does just that, the HP page opens half size and doing the thingy you said which sorted out IE, makes no difference at all. It is impervious to all I throw at it, a kind of Banzai syndrome. I have born my very soul to Mecca twice per day, but Allah takes no notice, he is too busy looking after Osama Bin Laden and his gang in their Pakistan safe haven, neither do the other sky fairies, so I am at the entire mercy of this Forum.

Any comments on this ?
    KAS

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Kas, first, go to that iGoogle Desktop shortcut, right click it and select Properties, in the Shortcut tab, under Run, choose Normal, click OK. Then, open that half page window and with your mouse, stretch its boundaries to fill the screen. Close it and redo the above shortcut process, this time choosing Maximized. See if that helps.

6. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Hi JRV, my Guru of unlimited assistance.

Well, when I Rt. click this iGoogle desktop shortcut, all it gives me is a useless panel that is no more than an ID card.

This shortcut does work, it just comes up half size. OK, I accept that I have upset the pixels and they are taking revenge on me, but I can live with it, unless one of you experts can tell me how to defeat this persecution.
    KAS

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Kas, can you run through and explain the sequence of how you created the iGoogle shortcut in your Desktop?

Normally, shortcuts, when right clicked, show this (Belarc Advisor, in this case):

2009-04-04_121135.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.