Max Total Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Anyone heard of these Dudes before?

-http://maxpcsecure.net/totalsecurity.htm-

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  2. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Been seeing them on Softpedia from time to time, so I guess at least it's not a rogue product.

Max Secure Software is an Indian company, and is indeed an Intel software partner:

http://software.intel.com/partner/search-detail?companyguid=574caa03-8e5e-e011-95a1-0050568d2e6c

Cannot guess why they're not hot linking it on their homepage though (much more convincing if they did imo). Also not sure about the "Microsoft Gold Partner" part, all I could find on MS site is this:

http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-IN...ndia-Pvt-Ltd-4297693544?LocId=289313294752104

3. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Bitdefender certainly doesn't like that site.

Capture.JPG

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

They've been around for years. I helped them remove some false positives from their antispyware product a long time ago.

I have no idea what engine they are using for their AV, but I can confirm their antispyware does not work well. I see they've included their registry cleaner in their AV which is not a good thing as it has problems with false positives.

I would suggest not using this antivirus as they are a shady company. For example they use the typical deliberately misleading advertising to sell their registry cleaner:
    With any registry cleaner there less than a .01% chance it will make your computer run faster or fix errors no matter how many hundreds or thousands of so called error the free scan only version finds. Anyone who claims otherwise is either clueless or is making money from selling registry cleaners or as an affiliate.

5. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

The browser extension blocks it too,checked the url to VT and only BitDefender flags it and WOT.So it seems a FP for sure.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Avira Antivirus Suite doesn't seem bothered by the site, it goes right through

7. DX2

DX2 Guest

I emailed them and they said they use their own engine.

8. roger_m

Well I installed this so I could reach my own opinions about it. The initial download is a very small exe file which is a download manager. I had a few issues with it downloading the installer, but after closing and reopening it a few times it did manag to complete the download for the full installer. When the download manager is reopened, the download resumes from where it left off.

There were no issues during the installation, after which it started a quick scan which showed that it has serious issues with false positives. For example there were leftover registry keys from when I had 360 Internet Security installed which were identified as belonging to several threats including "Fake Antispyware.360Safe"

To be honest, while the problems with false positives provide good reason to avoid this product, (plus the unknown detection abilities of their own scan engine) I am inclined to believe they are not deliberate false positives - based on my previous dealings with the company. Over 8 years ago when I filled out the survey I was taken to after uninstalling their antispyware they emailed me and did remove the false positives I submitted to them, and also gave a free licencee to both their antispyware and privacy products.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

10. roger_m

It seemed like they were using their own engine, but I really did look to closely, and I have uninstalled it. If they are still using Vipre, then the false positives much be coming from Max Security's own antispyware engine and not Vipre.

11. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

WOT just flagged this site as dangerous. Lots of red.

12. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

What comes up when you Google the names of its detections or compare them with those on virustotal/herdprotect?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  13. roger_m

I never thought of doing that to be honest. When I get a chance, since I'm still not using any AV, I will install it again and see what I can find.

14. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

AV vendors should refrain from using 'Total Security' or anything to that extent on the product name. It's outright misleading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.