Matousec new results

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MeFer, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeFer

MeFer Registered Member

There is two new.

Malware Defender 87 %
    Outpost Security Suite 93 % (instead of Outpost FW)

2. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

Intressting update..Outpost Security Suite only reached level 9 thou.

AFAIK, Technically comodo is #1 at mautsec it just won't pay for a retest. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. Julian

Julian Registered Member

With the option to block all unkown events if Comodo is closed it will pass everything except for socksniff.

Would like to know what socksniff does. Does it send data without getting caught by Comodo? Or is it just a local packet sniffer?

4. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Just out of curiosity where do you see this? it looks to me
    that Online Armor is number one!

http://www.matousec.com:80/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

The version in Matousec (.432), was one with a bug that made fail some tests, which was previously passing. He never tested the .439 which was the latest version up until recently and had the bug fixed. I think Melih invited Matousec to test .439 and he refused (probably wanted new money). But i don't remember much details.

6. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

thanks Fuzzfas for pointing that! ;)
    I just see Online at the top and kudos to them!!

7. Fuzzfas

Here are more details:

http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t32124.0.html

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

WHY THE FCK IS MAMUTU STILL ON THEIR, i dont understand this matousec guy, sounds like an idiot. just my opinion.

9. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I think he tries to prove in this way his idea about "usermode security is no-no".

10. Fuzzfas

I agree. But, as you can see, they 're not exactly the Saints of security. This is a business. The more products partecipate, the more the "hostages", who risk their reputation. Comodo for example, is now paying its past. Comodo used the "100%" leak test record, to become famous. Right now, they don't want to pay Matousec. But, if they don't , their reputation is being damaged, as seen in this thread too, that very few knew about the issue with the .439.

Of course, Comodo has now a big community, so Melih can afford to skip some tests i presume. But, nevertheless, partecipating in Matousec (and paying) has now become a tradition. Even in the Comodo forum poll, most users voted that Comodo should take the "primate" again. This means, for Melih, paying again and again... :D The way i see it, right now, it could be a "war of will" between Matousec and Melih. The questions are: 1) Can Melih afford to continue to be judged based on the buggy .432 version and lose the "primate"?. 2) If Melih continues to refuse to pay, can Matousec afford not having Comodo in his tests and stay with an obsolete version? :D Somehow, i have the feeling that this is going on right now. We 'll see who will "brake" first. (I think Melih will eventually pay, because he is entrapped by his own actions, when he decided to use Matousec's rating as promotional tool).

Maybe, they want to put in the "trap", Mamutu too. Meaning, indirectly forcing Mamutu to start passing leak tests, in order to improve its "leak test reputation", which is now hurt for newbies that visit the site, and later , get paid from Emsisoft too...

Oh, isn't the world of testing a wonderful one?! :D All full of noble intentions. :D

11. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Im sorry but havent they been doing exactelty this for some time now?

Im not so sure that he isnt sure, hasnt this been the deal for all contendors for some time now? Restest cost money for all participants yet somehow Melih acts like he's all clueless o_O

12. Fuzzfas

Testing is a promo tool really. Simply Melih now sees that he has a grown community and doesn't like to pay all the time. I think it's clear. The tool of the past is now seen as a "burden"...

LOL! If you read that discussion, you will notice that Melih avoids a certain question: "How much does Matousec charge". I think that he isn't sure, because he wants to change subject. There is also a Comodo mod that says "I don't know exactly, but much. Melih surely knows". And Melih then says that , probably because he doesn't want to answer.

Go figure!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  13. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Someone says one day "honesty does not pay" some times I think they were right.;)

14. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Guys, there is no need to pay, once in 3 (or 6 monthes, I do not remember) Matousec tests all the products in a completely free manner.

15. MeFer

MeFer Registered Member

I wonder;
    Is there any difference for protection on same tests between
    Outpost SS and FW Pro?

Why they changed from FW pro to SS.For marketing?

16. Fuzzfas

Well in that case, Melih has nothing to fear. :D Only to wait.

The AV shouldn't have any influence in the performance of the Outpost firewall. So it is strange in deed. And marketing sounds like a good explanation to me! (click "Get in Now---> Buy the more expensive IS than the standalone firewall).

17. Fuzzfas

Matousec, isn't just the only "professional" tester i 've seen that compares "apples" with "oranges" and putting them in the same rank, but also oddly enough, the only tester i 've seen, where he tests and displays result for a product, that the vendor doesn't wish to partecipate in his test! :D

It's tragicomical really. They make a vendor partecipate, despite his will. Even new testers, like PCSL, only test products, for which they have the expressed will of the vendor.

Anyway, i vote for the inclusion of Norton Antibot for the next challenge. (it will only be fair, after all Matousec is a fair guy!).

18. 41L3F

41L3F Registered Member

and to pay for releasing to people a freeware to see that comodo is actually the first FW is strange attitude ?
    why pay for testing your product that is a freeware ?
    comodo get no money releasing this awesome FW, it's not the case of others competitors,
    anyway, it changes nothing about the fact that comodo is actually the best FW available for windows users. and free, ouch...

19. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

Fuzzfas, correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can remember, you were among the ones who picked the Outpost lifetime license, weren't you ? However, I see you're not using it. Had you taken a bet ? :D

20. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Outpost failed kernel2 test, which is one of most important test, if "you" fail to detect it in real world you are in deep trouble...

Code:
    Description: Kernel2 checks whether malicious software can load driver using Service Control Manager.

21. Fuzzfas

Yes, i did purchase a lifetime license. But not using it because i don't like the CPU consumption with p2p. :D Since it's lifetime, i don't worry much about it. I may get a laptop and use it there, or upgrade my CPU, who knows. Having a firewall lifetimece license can't hurt (same goes for AVs and i have 1 for each!)

22. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

lol ok, I don't have this problem. Anyway, this kernel2 issue looks serious. Hopefully they'll correct it.

23. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This is not true. For one this is additional promotion of their main business, for two they get money for every "ask" toolbar they add to their suite.

24. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Do you suggesting Comodo is an adware? :eek:

25. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You said it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.