Master Boot record Change

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ewen, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewen

Ewen Registered Member

I am using Version 11 with Vista. I have created a SZ on an external USB drive and have made my first back-up to the zone.

I notice now when the PC boots up the last line of the Post screen shows "Starting Acronis Loader" (I think those are the words), and then the system boots into Vista. Now... have I booted into my regular Vista from the system on the hard-drive or have I booted into the back-up on the USB drive?

When I boot the system with the USB drive turned off the last line of the Post screen says "MBR2 Error" and then it boots normally into Vista and this is what has prompted my question... which Vista am I booting into?

Finally if I delete the SZ (which a number of correspondents have advised me to do) will my MBR revert to what it was before and if not how do I rectify it?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ewen,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all we would like to inform you that it is strongly recommended not to create Acronis Secure Zone on external drives since it may cause different boot problems (MBR Error 2 in your case). This information is also accessible at the Frequently Asked Questions Section at our official web site.
    The message Starting Acronis Loader in this case corresponds to the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager which has been activated after the Secure Zone setup.
    Of course you have booted into your Windows Vista installed on the local drive since the image of the system partition stored in the Secure Zone is just a file and one actually cannot boot the system from it.

For now we recommend you to attach your external drive to the computer, boot into Vista and remove the Acronis Secure Zone. Acronis Startup Recovery Manager will be automatically deactivated. After that you will be able to create Secure Zone on one of your local drives or just use the external drive as a backup files storage.

If you have any further questions concerning our software, please feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience and we will do our best to assist you as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.