Massive internet usage in 10 days.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Script132, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have redundant backup images of all of my machines on external storage devices. No way i'm loosing my data unless I have water or fire damage. God forbid! I don't have much of my data stored offsite. I always store anything valuable on external storage instead of the drive containing my OS.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

exactly!!!!!

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Hey, I'm not saying that backup images aren't important!

I'm suggesting that, in OP's present circumstances, simple file backups of key stuff are a priority. If he wants to also create a current backup image, that fine. But i'd do that after saving a couple copies of key files, using a Linux LiveCD.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Good to see the issue fixed, so it was a hidden trojan. I recommend Avast for anti-virus as well, but that's not enough by itself for full security.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

The trojans looked to be in the user directories. Maybe an anti-executable approach? Unless something was deliberately installed that shouldn't have been, like a codec, but this is only pure speculation.

6. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

do you know how you got infected? if not it may come back...

what's your security setup right now? you probably need a stronger firewall + antivirus than what you had before. comodo internet security (free version) should do although it can be resource hog on older computers and the popups can be annoying, but that's the cost of doing business these days.

also, what did the trojan download and upload? you might want to be prepared for the possibility that it was able to grab some sensitive data from your computer (passwords, banking details, etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.