Martial arts and associated hobbies.

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by `mishimasan`, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Well this morning my beloved Sensai told me that I will be out buying groceries while she reads the papers and has breakfast! When I get home I am to clean the Dojo, and wash and iron her black-belt! :D

2. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

It's probably something to do with her acting (or lack of it :rolleyes:).

I don't think so, not for most anyway - depending on how they take the training. Now I'm no guru who's wisdom is above all... but I like to think that I have experiences, and one of the experiences that I have is knowing that someone can move from being an extremely timid, scared person (me) to learning how to deal with pressure from peers or other people in tense situations.

The false sense of security may arise when a teacher doesn't show a student that he is not perfect. That goes for everything from martial arts to academic studies, but if we're talking about martial arts, most of my teachers/Sensei's kept reminding me that I was not the best, and that there would always be someone out there that could put me in my place. I believed them thankfully, and that goes hand in hand with the first rule of self-"DEFENSE": always avoid confrontation.

3. CartoonBoy

CartoonBoy Registered Member

4. `mishimasan`

Is that you Brad? :)

5. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

My kinda guy - can I borrow u for awhile? :D

6. bigbuck

Nope! I am much taller, more athletic and seriously better looking! If I don't say so myself! :D
    Well the dojo is tidy and the cupboards restocked. The master is letting young "grasshopper" have a leave pass for an hour now, to visit with friends at the local! :) Cheers.

7. `mishimasan`

:rolleyes: Where he will put to use his frighteningly-honed "drunken-style" skills.... right? I'm right aren't I? I hate it when I'm right, I so sick and tired of it... ahhhh.

8. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Uh Bucky, I distinctly heard the "Master" instruct you to polish the car before any fivrolities. Don't forget now, wax on.....wax off.

Sleepy in St. Louis, big ed

9. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Anyway, I wrote the name wrong, it's Cynthia Rothrock, and she was a 5 time karate champ and a forms champion too.

Since when did karate movies count on acting? :D

By 1982 Cynthia was one of the premier Kata (forms) and weapon competitors in the United States. Competing in divisions that were not segregated by male-female categories, she literally captured every title in both open and closed karate competition. From 1981-1985 she was the undefeated World Karate Champion in both forms and weapon competition. Establishing a legacy of wins and accumulating hundreds of trophies for her martial arts prowess; a feat that is unparalleled even to this day! She is a consummate performer with such Chinese weapons as the Chinese Double Broad Swords, Staff, Chinese Nine-section Steel Whip Chain, Chinese Iron Fan, and an assortment of Okinawan Kobudo and Japanese Bugei Weapons.

So, I don't think anyone argued with her about acting, I wouldn't!!

Attached Files:

10. Marja

Peaches, that's all good, I try not to even get that close!! Does that mean "Walk softly and carry a big stick" is a LIE!!! :eek: :eek:

11. Marja

An hour doesn't leave much time, grasshopper! Better do what this grasshopper does!

Attached Files:

12. Marja

Forget the beer, just watch the cartoon for a while!! ~falling off chair~dizzily crawling to bed~

13. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

AND wear a very large hat.....

Coachchise, :cool:

14. Peaches4U

Nawh, walk smiling so everyone will wonder whatcha up to? :D :D

15. Peaches4U

Hmmm, all along I thought BBuck was a gofer. Go for this, go for that!! :D

16. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hey peaches are you still in the land of the long white cloud

17. Peaches4U

Yep, we depart for Auckland on the 9th and to Hong Kong on the 10th and from there home. It will be nice to cease living out of a suitcase! :p

18. CartoonBoy

CartoonBoy Registered Member

19. bigbuck

I do a bit of that too Peaches! :D Gofer Beer mainly! :D

20. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

journey well

21. Marja

Peaches, that's great!! We women have been letting the guys get out of hand, so I have heard (thought they always were!).

Ready to crack yer whip?!?:D

22. aliwiseman

aliwiseman Registered Member

Hi there.

I have studied Judo, Jujistu, a form of Nimpo Jutsu, Shotokan Karate and also been to a few Aikido lessons. All of these are japanese and i have never really had a chance to do any other styles. i reached 1st kyu standard in the Karate and 3rd kyu in Judo, although the karate was one on one with an instructor rather than in a club, whereas the judo was club studies, and included the japanese terms, refereeing etc.

Of all the disciplines i found the Nimpo Jutsu most effective with regards self defense as the lack of forms (kata's) meant that it wasnt as structured as say Jujitsu and Karate. For example an outside block of the same ilk in both Karate and Jujitsu was used as a strike, as well as a block, by altering the position of impact. This improvisation made more sense from an "effectiveness" point of view, but didnt make for the comercial class going "Ichi, ni, san..." etc spectacle which you'll get in most karate classes. I dont like the idea that for each punch and kick there is a block which fits it.

On the other hand, i found judo fun to learn but difficult because i was one of the smaller built, but taller people there. Not the ideal structure for a judo player. The karate was easy as i was taught one on one, but tore ligaments in my leg and stopped after this.

The jujitsu i did mainly because i knew most of the karate moves and the locks from Nimpo Jutsu, and didnt really bother with it much, and Aikido was recent, and cost to much to continue. That looked entertaining but again seemed impractical. To be effective you have to have people attacking you conventionally with nicely telegraphed moves, or at least thats how it seemed to me. There were no novice students where i went and this also is disheartening as you get no sense of improvement etc.

From a fitness point of view, it was great to be training. I put on 2 stone in weight which i needed, and hit the gym twice a week. Currently not in a situation to train, otherwise i would certainly be back in the fold! :)

Alistair

23. Marja

Thanks for the information, Alistair! I always felt like you would have to take karate for quite awhile before you were anything but punching bag for the more accomplished students, not my thing! Neither is tearing ligaments, which are painful, aren't they? Ouch!
    That Jutsu sounds more practical, and attainable for someone who wants exercise and some self protection without the choreography of a movie! :) I will have to look around and see what is available here as far as Jutsu.

There is another discipline that I saw sometime ago, don't know from where, but you basically use what is around you? Do you know it? Not the one from Israel, that's a little more 'fit' than I plan to get!:D

Cheers!

Marja:cool:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  24. `mishimasan`

Are you referring to the "My name's Matt Damon from the Bourne movies, and I'll just roll this magazine up here and kill you with it" moves?

Could work. I think that your forehead, fists, elbows, knees and feet are all more readily-available however :D

Alistair, nice to meet you - good to see that we have a lot in common in terms of training.

I preferred Shotokan out of all of my studies. This may have been because I formed a strong bond with my tutors - my Sensei and the senior black belt. To be honest I agree with you that Kata-orientated studies can lead to an ineffective tuition of self-defense, however, in the ancient times I think that coupled with the extreme self-discipline, Kata's seem to have been the corner-stone of self-defense, as the students and teachers learned them to such a degree that they were able to use and modify any particular Kata as second-nature. I think of it as learning a language... eventually you will be able to speak it without even making an effort. However, getting to this point is another story, and much harder is learning how to use Kata's in self-defense than a language for communication.

`Mishima San`

25. aliwiseman

aliwiseman Registered Member

Hi Mishima San :)

I think my beef with the kata's was mainly because the instuctor at a karate club i went to had no "people skills" as such. When i did my one on one training instead of at the karate club i enjoyed it. The sensei at the club also believed his was the only real art, which went against my way of thinking.

Kata's in a Judo club however baffled me as to the point, (especially the ground kata's) although i understand the display purposes. Left hand slo mo kata throws are no fun when your taller and lighter than the others in your club lol Kata Garuma (shoulder wheel) left handed was dodgy.. lol

As you say, you reach a point when you can modify your kata's accordingly, but then... they cease to be that specific kata... but if you point that out, its push ups time lol!

Had to laugh at the rolled up newspaper as a weapon comment. Reminded me that my nimpo instructor told us use anything you want, but given the chance, run! If they want to hurt you, and you stop them from doing so, you have defeated them! I can live with that! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.