Mapped Network Drive Image Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by N2KI, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N2KI

N2KI Registered Member

On a weekly basis I create a complete image of my C drive to a mapped network drive (G:). Yesterday was the first time I needed to restore my c: drive due to a software failure. Anyway, I tried to utilize my TI bootable media. At first the media boots with a choice of either Full or Safe version. As suggested I chose the FULL version.

The first error that appeared was
    "usb.c:error getting string desctiptor 0 (error=-110)"

This error was continually scrolling down the screen for a few minutes. Afterwards, the TI software loaded. I requested the RESTORE function and it gave me tree to select from where the restoring image was. Here's the rub. My mapped network drive was not a choice. When I chose the "computers near me" nothing came up. I ended up having to get the drive from the remote computer and install it as the slave drive in the broken PC. I was then able to re-run the process going thru the aforementioned error and resulting process to get to the tree. I then was able to select the image from the secondary drive and restore successfully.

Here's the question. Why was I unable to restore from the mapped network drive as I was led to belive when I purchased the software. Why did I have to go thru such gyrations in order to restore? While I am satisfied that my drive is restored, I believe this process could have been easier than what ended up being the solution. Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Tony

2. b_k

b_k Registered Member

do you have DHCP in your network or do you setup your ip configuration within Windows by hand?

If you don't have DHCP you would have to configure the network within the rescue environment before you can browse the network.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

To state the obvious, something is not setup correctly in the network access. I don't use DHCP on my home network so I enter the IP address and off it goes very nicely. I tend to use second local drives for primary backup and network drives for secondary and occassional DVDs after that.

My major suggestion is that you find out what it takes to make it work and test doing a restore over the network. You probably created the backup from withing Windows so all the networking etc was operational. The restore is done from Linux loaded from a CD and it likely needs to be configured.

This may be a good time to do it because you know you can restore from drive installed in the machine so your risk is low. You also have the usb error message to sort out as well. I would unplug any un-needed USB devices from the PC when trying to boot the recovery CD as a first step. If the devices are needed make sure they are plugged in directly, ie, not through a hub.

To use a backup program you have to take the steps to ensure it does what you want it to before the disaster strikes. If you have to do anything that isn't obvious write it down for the next time. It's just a fact of life, until you do a successful recovery you can't have confidence in any backup solution.

Very glad you got your disk restored in spite of the problems:)

4. N2KI

N2KI Registered Member

I do not use DHCP in my network. Each box has it's own static IP. The weekly backup is made within the windows environment so I am not sure how this relates to the Linux based restore procedures. Is the bootable media that is made with TI a linux based CD? If so how would I configure it to see the network drive since it is made by TI using the "create bootable rescue media" function?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. seekforever

Yes, the Full recovery environment is a version of memory-resident Linux. Apparently the Safe recovery environment is DOS based but it does not have USB and perhaps other drivers available.

To set up your network boot up the recovery CD and get into the Full version of TI. Go to Tools Options

You will see Network adapters. Expand the list and you will likely get something called eth0.

On the Window on the right you will see some parameters. If you uncheck Auto configuration it will permit you put in the IP address you wish to use. This will be the IP addr of the machine you are running on.

You can also specify the subnet mask, usually 255.255.255.0

Also a default gateway which is my router address.

After you make your settings click on OK.

Go to the Restore wizard and you should be able to navigate down to your backup file from Computers Near Me.

When I booted from the CD it started up and worked with DHCP labelled as Used and a DHCP address in the IP address window. Interesting. It had my correct default gateway address for the Linksys router. I use fixed IP addresses for my normal work.

6. N2KI

N2KI Registered Member

I made the changes you suggest but that did not work. Still not able to see any of the computers on the network.

7. seekforever

In the filename box when you get to that page in the Restore wizard try putting in the name of the computer etc in the UNC format.

\\computer\foldername\filename.tib and see it that helps.

I used to have to do that in builds prior to B3567 but B3567 finds everything for me.

8. N2KI

N2KI Registered Member

That worked. I was able to navigate my way to the file. I will have to actually test it though. Now if I can get rid of the
    "usb.c:error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-110)" when I first engage the boot cd.

Thanks.

N2KI

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello N2KI,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure you use Bootable CD created with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the problem persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the issue appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. dbergan

dbergan Registered Member

Ok, I have had the same issue here. As soon as I started using static IP addresses, the Acronis loaded from the safe zone (pre-boot with F11) cannot find the server computer. (When I used it before with DHCP it seemed to work fine, but for some new applications on the comps, I had to go static.) I have done everything listed here... quadruple-checked my network (eth0) settings to make sure they aren't conflicting with other IP addresses, have the right gateway, etc.

What other suggestions do you have for someone who cannot use DHCP?

In my case I had to physically take the hard drive to the server and recover internally through a second SATA cable.

11. seekforever

Afraid I don't have any others. I find putting the name of host computer of the drives in the filename box to fix the problem. \\compname\ will cause a list of the shared disk resources to come up. You might try the names of other computers on your network, one name will bring up all the others as well.

I have been doing mine from the boot CD not the F11 trick.

12. dbergan

dbergan Registered Member

Just resubmitted this in a new thread... then I saw your response. The F11 trick works the same as booting from a CD. I've done it both ways and it pulls up the same menu. Just that if you have the F11 thing installed, you don't need to find the CD when you want to use that. (And for me, some of the comps I'm using don't have CD drives.)

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dbergan,

Please note that if there is no DHCP server in your network or your computer address was not identified automatically for some reason you can enable connection by specify network settings manually in the window, available at Tools -> Options -> Network adapters. Please use the same network settings as in Windows.

If the issue still persists, please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.