MAPI Interface Question

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Howard, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Re: Why NOD32 is so stinkin cool!

Picking up on the "use MAPI interface". I use MS Office and I use Outlook XP, but not Exchange. When 'use MAPI interface' is ticked as in the default installation, then a couple of Outlook folders appear in the directories and files pane of the scanning targets tab of NOD32 - one of these folders is Personal and the other is the IMAP folder. I cannot scan these folders, I have tried, nothing is scanned, as far as I can tell. I found this a bit irritating, so I unchecked the 'use MAPI interface' and this removes those folders from the scanning target tab; it doesn't appear to have any other effect - or does it? Phew, finally got there, what does the 'use MAPI interface' actually do on a setup like mine?

2. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Hm, so does no one know what the 'use MAPI interface' actually does on a stand alone PC with Outlook/MS Office installed?

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Email sent, waiting for a reply :D

Cheers :D

4. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi Howard,

If you were using Outlook 97 or Outlook 2000 installed in corporate mode, you would see the folders you were referring to in the 'Directories and files' panel. If you are using Outlook XP, you should not see them. I wonder if maybe you had an older version of Outlook (97 or 2000) previously installed and it's left something in the registry? Currently EMON doesn't support Outlook 2003 or XP but there is a Beta version being tested right now that does. It's available to download from our website (www.nod32.com) if you'd like to give it a try.

Regards,
    Bandicoot.

5. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Bandicoot. This machine has only seen Outlook XP and no other version of Outlook. As I use Outlook almost exclusively to retrieve mail via IMAP, I would only be interested in EMON - beta or otherwise - when NOD32 supports IMAP. None of this is important, I was just curious as to what effects, if any, 'use MAPI interface' had, as it is switched on by default when I install NOD32 even though I do not run a corporate version of Outlook. The only effect I have been able to detect is one that I now understand from your post should not be occurring - making visible folders in Outlook XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.