Many unresolvable NOD32 installation problems.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by cant install EAV, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cant install EAV

cant install EAV Registered Member

Topic: Many unresolvable NOD32 installation problems.

First my system details:

Windows XP, SP3
    Auto-update XP and EAV

The problem arose when I got a blue screen and used msconfig to narrow down what was causing it. It seemed that NOD32 had been the issue. When I boot up I generally am impatient and this time I immediately opened MS Solitaire waiting for NOD32 to complete its scan. Maybe I got in there too soon and interfered with the process causing the crash.

I tried my best to search out solutions to get NOD32 to install after uninstalling it from the NOD32 v4 CD. One of the options during the uninstall asked whether I intended to reinstall it later. I picked that option rather than a full uninstall. That may have been my first mistake.

Apparently the uninstall was not complete and got in the way of the reinstallation. As I tried to reinstall I got the following messages, even though I shut every conceivable running program down. I used msconfig’s startup option to disable everything on that tab. Previous tries without using this program seemed to be preventing installation. This did improve the progress from previously where I would get the following message”

“D:\autorun.exe is not a valid Win32 application.”

Later, after using msconfig I got the following message:

“The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.”

Prior to that it stated it had detected Norton, so I went into the Registry and got rid of all mention of it.

Then I ran it in Safe mode and got the following:

“The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.”

“The farthest I got in attempting to install resulted in the following error message:

“The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\msvcp80.dll.” This occurred with all Startup options in msconfig disabled, except the topmost, “ctfmon”.

I AM the support personnel and have no intention of handing $$$$ to others for something I haven’t broken. Furthermore, I’m an honest user. I have 2 licenses. A 2 year license for this laptop I seldom use, and another 2 years for a workstation that is waiting for me to repair it after I get beyond this issue. I’ve submitted a support request to ESET, but since it is the weekend they will hopefully get to me tomorrow.

I checked my CD drive and it is OK. It will play music and install other programs.

I hope that ESET’s reasoning behind making this installation so difficult has to do with preventing bad actors from crashing peoples systems and doing other types of damage. They do have a “free” upgrade, and somewhere down the line when I get past this issue I guess I’ll find what constitutes “free”, since I’m almost 1-1/2 years out from re-subscribing.

I also went to Leo Laporte forums to see what I could learn. The forums are difficult to navigate for someone new to them, so I hope ESET support will have the answers, unless someone here does. While browsing Leo’s web page there was a link on Leo’s page to “wisefixer.com” claiming to be a free fix for the Win32 problem mentioned above. That was a lie. They ran the scan then wanted $$$$, which was declined.

I noted on this forum that there are some having similar issues, including one that has subscribed for 3 years and can’t install his ESET software. ESET claims that their NOD32 has never had a successful intrusion into a user’s system. I hope they’re right because one of the first things the bad guys do is disable anti-virus programs.

2. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

ESET support will probably require some more information. Is XP 32bit or 64bit? You've mentioned NOD32 v4 but didn't state whether you are trying to install v5 over v4 or if is just a reinstallation of v4 or any other upgrade. I am also confused as to whether your BSODs began before you tried to begin installation and was the reason for a reinstallation or whether the BSODs were as a result of unsuccessful installation.

Wanted to check something too. Have you tried a manual uninstall as per KB Solution ID: SOLN2289 - How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET security product? Using the ESET unintsaller, as you did, via the start menu can occasionally leave remnants of the original program. These remnants can cause symptoms similar to those currently exhibited by your system and is the reason for my suggestion of a manual uninstallation.

Good luck!!

Edit: There is also a chance of remnants of Norton causing problems and ESET have an uninstaller for this too : KB Solution ID: SOLN41

After you have ensured full unistallation of old ESET and Norton products please try a fresh install of your current NOD32

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The symptoms described in the initial post indicate malware infection. I'd definitely recommend contacting Customer care and providing them with a SysInspector log for perusal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.