Manually integrating Intel ICH8R RAID drivers into XP CD ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Defenestration, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I know I can use nLite to this and all manner of other things related to customizing the XP install CD, but I like to understand how to do these things manually.

I have looked around for decent step-by-step instructions on how to do this (specifically for the ICH8R RAID and ACHI drivers, as I have an Asus P5B Deluxe mobo based on the Intel 965 chipset), but to no avail.

The guides I've found are

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/36/
    http://blogs.technet.com/benhunter/...-mass-storage-drivers-into-your-xp-image.aspx

Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions, or a link to where there is a decent tutorial ?

2. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

3. dsmart[3000ad]

dsmart[3000ad] Registered Member

Don't bother. Just use nLite. I had to do this yesterday for a NAS I built for which the mobo used the ICH7 SATA driver which is not in the XP setup.

Just download nLite and install it. Then copy your XP CD-ROM contents to a temp folder.

Next, locate the drivers you want to use and copy them either to you HDD, a floppy or a USB flash drive. You will provide this location to nLite in the next stage....

Now read this and go from there.

Installing SATA Hard Drive with Windows XP (Without Floppy Drive)

Once you have that slipstreamed by nLite. Just burn the new XP install to CD-ROM and then boot the target machine from that n-Lite created CD-ROM and it will just work. No need for F6 or all that jazz.

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

How To Integrate SATA Drivers into A Custom Windows CD
    Code:
    http://members.cox.net/br0adband/How_To_Integrate_SATA_Drivers_into_A_Custom_Windows_CD.zip 
    683KB, extracts to a 956KB PDF. Nice step by step.

5. dsmart[3000ad]

Yeah, I saw that one. Its too long. Too convoluted. Too complex for the average user. The nLite option is cleaner. Plus you have the benefit of all the nLite options for your new CD-ROM ISO image.

Naturally, YMMV, thats why there are choices.

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

This pdf file is actually a step by step using nlite. First few pages explain windows drivers.

7. dsmart[3000ad]

Yes, I know that. The point I was making is that you only need four steps. FOUR. Not an entire PDF explaining irrelevant and inconsequential stuff. When someone is trying to install XP for the first time and they arrive at this problem, do you think they have time to read a Bible or just simple instructions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.