Manual update nitpick & negligence

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by oldtima, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldtima

oldtima Registered Member

Now, some people really hate that people ask about this. Others welcome as many alternatives to updating software. Pretty much, most common situation is a local update of definitions for ewido/AVG on a computer w/ busted or compromised internet that is sucking down more baddies per second when connected. Then you could put it on a CD or usb/flash drive.

Why is Ewido left out? Alot of people apparently are reverting to earlier versions... just like Ad-aware SE vs. Ad-aware 2007? Guess newer means more buggy.

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/

Above, I see that AVG still has the manual updates but ewido does not have a section I can see or find. An older link posted on these forums led me to a 194kb download w/ definitions that were dated '7/10/2006', now that tells me that wasn't updated since then. Specifically that was while getting the 'current' definitions, not the full which is 7 MB.

Ewido manual update link:
    http://download.ewido.net/ewido-signatures-current.exe

So, I tried the AVG one b/c they must be using the same database, right? But after running it, since it couldn't find the AVG directory and prompted me to find one for it, I decided not to at the risk that installer was specifically setup for AVG and might confuse or corrupt my ewido database.

Nitpick:
    Why does the manual def. download link for AVG read 'Download starten'?

What sense does that make? Rename it 'Download now'. As I said nitpick. But 'starten' is not a word.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

It depends on your perspective. If you're German, it's a word and actually an appropriate one.

Blue

3. oldtima

oldtima Registered Member

Ah, I see. I initially thought that as well but didn't want to wipe the egg from my face if I was wrong. :D

I wasn't aware there was a German localization of Ewido, but now checking the Program Files\Ewido ...\Translations folder I see there is also a Czech translation.

Would anyone suggest I PM a Ewido team member if any of this is up their alley or if they are able to relay this to the 'go to' guy?

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

Ewido was founded and based in Germany.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.