Manjaro + Microsoft Office Online - Yup, come over

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a short, enthusiastic review of the native integration of Microsoft Office Online in Manjaro 17.1.6 Hakoila using the JAK app framework, covering login, basic usage of Word, Powerpoint, OneNote, Skype, and other components of the office suite, customization, suggestions for future work and development, notes from the project team, and more.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/manjaro-ms-office-online.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Interesting, thanks.

3. korben

korben Registered Member

Manjaro - keep an eye on the project.

4. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

For the life of me, I simply can NOT get Manjaro to boot from a USB flash drive. I have created the flash drive using Manjaro 17.1.7 and 1.8 ISO files, and tried using Rufus and Unetbootin for the creation process but with no luck. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What system are you trying to boot on?
    Mrk

6. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I had no success with Unetbootin. Don't use Unetbootin. Keep trying with Rufus.

When it comes to editing OOXML (Microsoft Office format) documents on Gnu/Linux I used to use WPS Office. It worked quite good.

7. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

An incredibly inexpensive Dell 11" 3180 laptop that I bought new for $150 just to run Linux distros on. As per Manjaro doc, I set UEFI to On and Secure Boot to Off. This system boots Mint and KUNBUTU just fine. I get a message at boot something like "unrecognized file system".

8. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Finally got Manjaro to boot successfully from a USB flash drive by using Rufus options GPT partition scheme and DD Image (instead of ISO image). After all of that, it didn't take long to determine that this distro is not my favorite. :doubt:

9. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Manjaro is OK if it can be easily bootable without turning off secure boot. However, you probably still want something like Debian if you prefer stability over staying cutting-edge.

10. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

It's a great idea. But before MS Office addicts like myself can get too excited about it, Microsoft needs to add more functionality to Office Online, and turn it into a viable alternative to Google Docs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.