Manjaro 17.0.1 Gellivara (Che Guevara) - Pretty decent

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Beware the puns. There shall be many in this long, thorough review of Manjaro 17.0.1 Gellivara 64-bit edition, an Arch-based distribution with Xfce desktop environment, tested on a laptop with UEFI, GPT, 16 partitions, and a multi-boot setup with Windows and Linux, covering live session, installation and everyday use, including look & feel, networking - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, and printing, smartphone support - Ubuntu Phone and Windows Phone, multimedia support - HD video and MP3 playback, partitioning, package management and updates, applications, performance, responsiveness, resource usage, battery life, stability, hardware compatibility, visual customization, various problems, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/manjaro-17-0-1-xfce.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Arch made user-friendly. Only rolling distro like it on the Debian side is Siduction. With RPM, you get Tumbleweed with openSUSE and of course there's PCLOS. Install it once and get it updated continuously with no need to reinstall.

Considering most of the distroverse are fixed point releases, its just easier to wipe and start over when a new version appears. Cheers

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks for the review.
    I tried Manjaro Xfce as my main OS twice, last year with version 16 and early this year with v17. Not only it was way harder to configure it to my liking than Xubuntu (as you pointed out) but I had a broken system a couple of months later due to updates.
    I'd rather reinstall Xubuntu every 6 months; it's only a couple of Sunday mornings per year in exchange for stability and ease of use.

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

If you have LTS, you only need to reinstall it every 2 years.

5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Yes, but this way I'll have updated repositories.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.