Mandriva 2011.0 - Supreme start, unhappy ending

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Le review pour Mandriva 2011.0 with KDE desktop: Worry not, that pretty much sums up my knowledge of French. Anyhow, the review covers live usage, installation and post-install experience; topics include Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, look & feel, new interactive menu, multimedia support, dual-boot configuration with Windows 8, package management, 3D effects, system resources, suspend & resume, errors, warnings, numerous problems, and more. A weird blend of good and bad. Read on.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mandriva-2011.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Thanks for the review Mrk, I will skip this one :D I haven't tried Mandriva since it was called Mandrake, but I doubt that I will try it anytime soon.

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

again nice and fair review of your mrk :thumb:

i also read your review on Mageia as well its pretty same what i experiance but on live cd mode :D i wonder how did i miss it.

i tried is few weeks ago evething look ok on vmware but when i run it form live cd ..............gooosh all crap its stuck and unable to boot :mad:

i wish i read your review before experimenting on it save lot time and a burned cd ...............as my net slow and takes 4 hours to download a distro only. :doubt:

Anyways Mandriva always fascinate me its the only distro which could be given one of perfect desktops because of its control center and looks to kill alone ............ but pity if its not stable and buggy i wait a little more thanks again for beautiful review.

4. mack_guy911

5. mack_guy911

can anyone do me a favor can any one add it to rar files and split dvd iso into parts and post it on rapidshare my ISP dosent allow me to download more than 1.2 gb at a time so parts would be great :D

or using lxsplit ....etc

i know its buggy but temptations are there i want to try it. :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

The firefox extension DownThemAll let's you pause and resume large downloads.
    Would that work for you, Mack?

7. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Use Jdownloader, best for this purpose.

8. mack_guy911

thanks

but moretime i see file get corrupted when pausing and resuming it misses the between files maybe i wrong let me try again its long time.

what here i and my brother use to do is if iso ...etc is bigger then we rar and split it on 100mb files upload it to rapidshare and then join on download it always work :thumb:

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Mack, Worry not:

When your paused download is completed and the checksum does not verify, you are able to correct that with rsync.
    In the list of mirrors you find a rsync server and you run a command that reads like:
    Code:
    # rsync -vrt rsync://carroll.cac.psu.edu/MandrivaLinux/official/iso/2011/Mandriva.2011.i586.1.iso ./Mandriva.2011.i586.1.iso
    The reason that I think of an alternative solution for you is that i didn't download Mandriva yet and thought of how bandwidth limits could be handled. Perhaps distro providers should offer DVD iso's in 500 MB chunks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.