Mandriva 2010 Live CD

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Rilla927, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I made a iso image of this and in the beginning of boot I see the four prompts in the bottom left corner such as Help, Kernel Mode, Language and I forget the other, but anyway it won't boot. The white circle just goes and goes. Any ideas! Video settings were 800 x 600.

I really like the looks of this OS it's more my speed.

Thanks

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Did you verify the iso is ok?
    Did you verify the disc burned fine?
    You can run memtest before booting the kernel.
    Mrk

3. Rilla927

Hi Mrkvonic,

Yes, I did verify through Image Burn. What will memtest do? I really like the looks of this distro and want to use it and it's the only one I came across that won't work. Can you install this to your hard disk from the live CD? I wanted to try it first and if I like it install and use as my main OS and run windows from a virtual box (I think they call it).

The downloads are a bit confusing. I always wanted to try Linux but it looked like chinese to me. This distro reminds me of windows and looks like it would be a easy transition. I d/l the one with KDE desktop. I have to look for the one with Gnome desktop.

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

The latest that Mandriva has available is 2010.1 RC2. They have yet to release the Final and no set date. To my understanding there's still a few outstanding bugs to iron out. I tried RC2 just yesterday, as a matter of fact. Gedit kept crashing on me whenever I tried to use it (which was frequently). It was OK, I guess, but to me it is far behind Ubuntu as far as functionality goes. It did have Gnome Shell installed but you had to put "gnome-shell --replace" in Startup Applications to activate it. It also picked up and and installed my Broadcom bcm4312 rev 1 driver automatically. This did impress me. It runs the 2.6.33-4 kernel.

Later...

5. Rilla927

I didn't know it was not the final, thanks for the update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.