Mandriva 2010 - I mean ... Wow!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying Mandriva 2010 is a blast.

Now, that said, maybe you want to take a look at my long, enthusiastic review of said Linux distribution, running KDE desktop, including live CD experience, installation and post-install usage, covering topics like Wireless. Bluetooth, Compiz Fusion, Multimedia codecs - MP3, Flash, Windows video, looks and themes, ergonomics, performance, laptop modes - suspend & hibernate, software management, some perks, and more.

You shall be pleased!

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mandriva-2010.html

Regards,
    Mrk

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Totally agree, Mandriva 2010 is slick.

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

This reminds me of the Mandriva ISO I downloaded awhile back, but never got around to trying.

Compiz's choppy performance on Kubuntu - especially with Firefox - has been bothering me for awhile now. Looks like it's time to give Mandriva a whirl.

4. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Mandriva wouldn't boot into X on my machine. Tried a few tweeks that didn't work so it was promptly binned. Shame, it looks a good distro.

Eice, are you running kubuntu 9.10. If so, kde 4 has built-in composite effects, why use compiz?

5. andb

andb Registered Member

I try to like mandriva, but since it became mandriva some years ago i have had only bad experience with it. openSUSE have always give me a better result. I have read mixed reviews about this new release, but ultimately the bad software selection and font rendering makes this a pass for me.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Looks like a viable alternative to Ubuntu for someone like me i.e. not a geek just want to get things done.
    Mrk's grub2 up-coming tutorial will be of great interest... eg. why using core.img rather than creating a custom boot entry, or chainloading for dual booting.
    Thanks for the great review.

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I have a similar problem, I get around it by selecting 'text' as video mode.

8. Beavenburt

Thanks for the tip wilbert. I'll try and have another play with the livecd this weekend if I get the time.

9. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Why would you use Compiz on Kubuntu?

10. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I had that problem with 2009 Spring edition. Is this still an issue in 2010?

11. Beavenburt

Sorry that wasn't very clear, I meant to say you don't need compiz with KDE4.

With regards to Mandriva 2010, I tried wilberts method and X would still not run, so yes it appears to be an issue still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.