Mandriva 2010 - I mean ... Wow!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying Mandriva 2010 is a blast.

Now, that said, maybe you want to take a look at my long, enthusiastic review of said Linux distribution, running KDE desktop, including live CD experience, installation and post-install usage, covering topics like Wireless. Bluetooth, Compiz Fusion, Multimedia codecs - MP3, Flash, Windows video, looks and themes, ergonomics, performance, laptop modes - suspend & hibernate, software management, some perks, and more.

You shall be pleased!

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mandriva-2010.html

Regards,
    Mrk

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Totally agree, Mandriva 2010 is slick.

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

This reminds me of the Mandriva ISO I downloaded awhile back, but never got around to trying.

Compiz's choppy performance on Kubuntu - especially with Firefox - has been bothering me for awhile now. Looks like it's time to give Mandriva a whirl.

4. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Mandriva wouldn't boot into X on my machine. Tried a few tweeks that didn't work so it was promptly binned. Shame, it looks a good distro.

Eice, are you running kubuntu 9.10. If so, kde 4 has built-in composite effects, why use compiz?

5. andb

andb Registered Member

I try to like mandriva, but since it became mandriva some years ago i have had only bad experience with it. openSUSE have always give me a better result. I have read mixed reviews about this new release, but ultimately the bad software selection and font rendering makes this a pass for me.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Looks like a viable alternative to Ubuntu for someone like me i.e. not a geek just want to get things done.
    Mrk's grub2 up-coming tutorial will be of great interest... eg. why using core.img rather than creating a custom boot entry, or chainloading for dual booting.
    Thanks for the great review.

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I have a similar problem, I get around it by selecting 'text' as video mode.

8. Beavenburt

Thanks for the tip wilbert. I'll try and have another play with the livecd this weekend if I get the time.

9. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Why would you use Compiz on Kubuntu?

10. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I had that problem with 2009 Spring edition. Is this still an issue in 2010?

11. Beavenburt

Sorry that wasn't very clear, I meant to say you don't need compiz with KDE4.

With regards to Mandriva 2010, I tried wilberts method and X would still not run, so yes it appears to be an issue still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.