Managing forum logins

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by axial, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axial

axial Registered Member

Using FF 3.6.13 and Noscript 2.0.9.3

[edit for clarity: the following doesn't apply to the Wilder's forums]

I've been noticing that several forum-type webpages that I've previously been able to log into are increasingly difficult to log into, most often the login just fails and it gives me a "you must be logged in" error. Whether this is because of newer privacy settings in FF or anti-javascript settings in Noscript, I don't know. It's not that the login or password are incorrect.

When time is tight I confess I often end up just temporarily disabling Noscript but more often it's easier just to use Chrome in order to get in (I don't have any anti-script settings on it, so I only use it for trusted surfing).

As an example, Tivo community forum the code for a login box says:

Does the name="vb_login_password" give any hint anything about what setting might be causing difficulty? Or is it more a function of what external page permissions are tied into it (google-analytics etc)? Or some other setting in FF?

I hate the idea of adding a blanket permission to all sorts of add-on websites like google-analytics if I don't need to.

Which leads me to the next question, are there any "forum access manager" utilities for browsers (as distinct from password managers).

(ps, the login issue hasn't affected the Wilder's board).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Well Axial, I do hope somebody, preferably LowWaterMark answers your post. On some of my questions regarding the Forum, whilst not being half as complicated as yours, LWM has given me a total, detailed and superb explanation that never leaves anything to query.

I have most of the programs you refer to and have never had any problem with Wilders procedure. Your problem therefore cannot concern any of the programs listed in my signature.

Good luck.
    John

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

check the existing cookies for the sites you have issues with and remove them if exist.

4. axial

axial Registered Member

Thank you, cudni, removing the cookie for the site did the trick. I never would have guessed this. Time to delve into cookie-paranoia.

And thank you John Bull, your helpfulness is appreciated.

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I use KeeFox with KeePass, which auto-types the passwords for you in firefox as long as you've opened KeePass and the passwords are there. It also offers to remember the username and password into KeePass the first time you enter a new site or forum. Obviously KeeFox is not exactly distinct from "password managers", but aside from requiring KeePass I thought it might qualify as the type of "forum access manager" utility you are looking for.

p.s. I haven't tried KeeFox/KeePass with NoScript, which I disabled semi-permanently a long time ago (too much hassle), but I'll try it again now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.