"Mamutu: The end of an era"

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ichito, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Already gone.

Best alternative is to get EAM which has Mamutu in it. If you are talking about standalone BB, then I'm afraid it's nonexistent. Unless you want to use abandoned software like ThreatFire.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think Threatfire is a HIPS. There are not many "real" stand alone behavior blockers out there.
    As Graf said, Mamutu as a stand alone product will not be offered anymore but it will still be used in EAM.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it still alive but not updated:)

4. guest

guest Guest

But the license?

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

isn't DSA or whatever it was called, incorporated into Private Firewall? Not sure if that qualifies as a behavior blocker though...but when it was a single product I don't think it was as user dependent as the other HIPS products of the time, Pro Security, and others

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

GrafZeppelin very true:)

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

No, it is behavior blocker.
    Only when you raise the protection level to 5 it acts like HIPS.

8. Thinking about behavioral blocking was a break through: the end of ara also defines the start on another.

Now implemented as part of AV;s. Take f.i. deepscreen of Avast which combines static analysis with reputation scoring and code emulation in a sandbox with heuristics and behavioral analysis (phfeew high score on buzz words in this sentence).

Now implemented as part of mitigation software: E.g. EMET and MBAE focus on certain events to occur and auto decides to block when suspicious/malware behaviour is discovered to prevent exploits (in the past only on Unix-available or as corporate security software see http://css.csail.mit.edu/6.858/2011/readings/buffer-overflows.pdf)

The next generation software also has next generation qualities in terms of being smart, specific* and silent.

* Specific
    e.g. Avast only for executables with low reputation, behavioral analysis is started
    e.g. EMET focussing on memory mitigation
    e.g. MBAE focussing on exploit behavior in threat gate programs and their plug-ins (no mail programs guarded yet)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  9. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

What other software offers reputation/user behaviour
    ie 90% have allowed this executable etc.

I am currently running kaspersky IS and outpost fw which does not have a reputation feature.

10. guest

guest Guest

Doesn't Avast! have such feature?

My personal preference --> I won't trust my safety to the popular votes of the people. :isay:

11. Yes, Avast has reputation scoring, Webroot (PrevX4) was one of the first to implement such a feature.

At PrevX Webroots, they should send their marketeers to a survival weekend: WSA was the first cloud based AV, Panda took the credits. Difference with reputation scoring is that Avast is so fair not to claim they were the first, still most will think of Avast when reputation scoring is mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.