Mamutu and ThreatFire make a nice couple.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

From BelArcAdvisor This (below) is what I meant by
    I use both, and TF has been a source of CPU-spikes for some, including me, that cause freezes and lagging for upwards of 10 minutes for some (1-2 for me) so I am currently logging CPU-activity of TF to see if (and why) the issues still arise.

Attached Files:

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I agree they do monitor the same things, but use different behavior technology to do so and this is why I think they actually compliment each other. I get that they both are behavioral type HIPS, but if one differs from the other in their techniques, than is it any different than using Comodo's Defences+ with one of them?

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Mamutu & TF? Sounds like a double party

4. duke1959

What's a double party something political? LOL. I'm the first one to say I really don't need anything more than a good AV, but it's fun to use some of these security programs and that's why it's so hard for me to stick with a certain set up. I have been staying with Avira Premium and Mamutu, but the new ThreatFire version enticed me to try it and now here I am thinking why not just run it with Avira and Mamutu. Ok 19monty64. Time for a TICK TOCK. LOL.

5. 19monty64

Yes, it is hard to replace this app., even when there's a need to, so I'll look to you when I have to. What is your over-all thoughts of Mamatu, without speaking of it in a combo. I have yet to actually trial it. With a product so young, I like to wait to see what others have to say before I jump on the band-wagon...

6. duke1959

Hey 19monty64. I am a sucker for a nice GUI that is laid out well and so some of the attraction for me with Mamutu is just that. It also shows what applications try to reach the internet like Windows Media Player, QuickTime, ect... and of course any security app that needs to update. Obviously it helps if it has good protection and runs light for me, but if I had to pay for it I wouldn't. I was fortunate to get it from GiveawayOfTheDay so I thought what the heck why not give it a try. The Emsisoft Forums are nice and the recent update of Mamutu to 1.6 went well. On the other hand TF has been my go to app ever since the slowdowns it caused on my PC went away and here i am again going to it. LOL. All right this post is getting too long so I'll just say so long and TICK TOCK. LOL.

7. 19monty64

Like all "nice" couples, boredom sets in, and eyes start to wonder. I'm sure this couple will be switching dance-partners real soon. By the looks of your other thread, the "doe-she-doe" has already begun...tick...tock...like the sands of time...

8. duke1959

LOL. I don't know they really are running quite well together.

9. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Is there a breakdown somewhere of what each of them is capable of detecting? Like low access disk protection or other things that might set them apart?

10. duke1959

I hope someone with a little expertise will answer this. I only know I remember reading somewhere that the two differ in the way their behavioral detection works.

11. 19monty64

Problem is
    may advise that you don't run both unless you're
    LOL

12. duke1959

Touch'e my friend. Touch'e. LOL.

13. 19monty64

Sorry 'bout that duke, I'm still adjusting to you sticking with the same set-up. It just don't seem natural is all. I'm sure you've put that combo through the ringer, so it must be light and stable. As far as other security apps go, you must be testing out a lot of other products to see what fits best with your combo, but that's for another thread...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.