MalwareDefender why doesn't my rule work?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bellgamin, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I wrote the rule shown below, but MalwareDefender (MD) still allows me to write to the HOSTS file. Why? Is there a rule that WILL prevent writing to HOSTS?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ScrHunt01 26-Dec-09.gif

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

There should already be a rule for this in the System Configuaration Files tree. Where have you placed this new rule?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Try changing hosts to hosts.* and also check only the files instead of files and folders.

I just tested a similiar simple rule for a file on my desktop and it worked.

Pete

4. bellgamin

@Scoobs72 -- I didn't assign my rule to any group. It stands alone.

There IS a rule for system32/drivers/etc in the SystemConfig group -- set for Read-permit and Write-ask. I did not modify that rule in any way. Even so, I can freely write to HOSTS file and MD does NOT ask.

@Pete -- I did as you said. MD still allows writing to hosts with no objection. By the way, I test-write to hosts by right clicking the hosts file and doing a "send to" to notepad. I then modify hosts with notepad & save the file. MD offers no pop-ups whatsoever. Also, I verify that the change was, in fact, saved. o_O
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ScrHunt01 27-Dec-09.gif

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. subset

subset Registered Member

You should get a prompt as the built-in file rule covers this.

Are there any file rules for notpade.exe which could allow the modification of the hosts file or is notepad.exe in a group, where the group rules allow this file modification?

Cheers

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Where is the the rule located? You may have another, lower level rule, superseding yours.

7. bellgamin

Yes, THAT was the problem. The rule works now. Thanks to all who offered clues, but especially to subset.

NOTE TO XIAOLIN (Requested change) -- It would be helpful if you added a menu item to search for rules that conflict with one another.

8. xiaolin

xiaolin Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You might check other stuff. I created a test rule on a file to prevent deleting. Did block it for explorer, but I also use Xplorer2 and that was able to delete the file just fine.

10. bellgamin

@xiaolin -- Thanks for visiting this thread! :thumb:

@ Pete -- Good suggestion! I checked other stuff. To wit, I did a "rule find" on "system32\drivers\etc" & examined every rule wherein that file was affected. There were two other apps, including explorer.exe, that had the okay to mess with HOSTS. I fixed them both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.