malwaredefender+OA++ overkill ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Banshee, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Would online armor and malwaredefender play well together ? If yes what settings would be best disabled/enabled so that the two do not conflict ?

thankss

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I don't know a whole lot about malwaredefender. I know that its a firewall and HIPS. I don't think that it would play nice with OA, since its a firewall with hips as well.

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

IMO, it is.
    to some its not..

But I know for sure some of their features overlap. :isay:

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I would not recommend running two "classical" HIPS in realtime, I think there would be a very good chance of a conflict.

5. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

100% overkill ... if not bordering to paranoia.

6. gery

gery Registered Member

keep only one of them

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

OA++ for ease of use
    or
    MD for configuration

I would keep OA++, because it has A-Squared on it xD
    Though, i like MD a lot!! Very nice little program and it's extremely configurable!!!

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Actually I run them together on 4 machines with no problems at all.

Why do this? Well first I am always running the latest versions of OA and one never knows with beta software. Secondly, If I should click a bit to fast the first time, I get a 2nd chance.

Note, this plus Sandboxie is all I run, no AV's no AS's at all.

Pete

9. arran

arran Registered Member

They may run ok together but there may be unnoticeable conflicts. I fail to see
    why you would need 2 HIPS? If 1 is configured properly why would you need a back up HIPS.

10. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Complete overkill :thumbd:

11. kjdemuth

Hey boost,
    Do you have any issues with keyscrambler working with firefox and geswall? I tried running it and it seemed that geswall was interfering with it. Did you have any problems?

12. kjdemuth

Also....Sorry I know that its off topic.

13. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Nope,no issues.

When enabling or disabling keyscrambler,dont start firefox isolated.Then you enable or disable keyscambler,then close Geswall.When your asked to isolate firefox again,select yes and whatever changes you made while you werent isolated,will be present.

Hopefully that makes sense.

14. kjdemuth

Oh. Damn how could I have missed that. I gottcha. Thanks. I forgot that I had geswall isolating. Duh!

15. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Pete,

Do you have anything turned off in both programs?
    MD has network control, so wouldn't this conflict with OA FW?

16. Peter2150

Actually no I don't. As to conflicts, I don't see any evidence of it. All 4 computers seem to run normally, and if I test them, I get the appropriate alerts from both of them. Of course MD isn't a traditional inbound firewall as OA is, so that may make a difference.

Pete

17. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

gents,

Thank you for your opinions.I think I'll run just oa++.Should be good enough.

18. gery

gery Registered Member

good choice:thumb: :thumb:

19. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Thanks for the thread and the straight answer from Peter. :D

I'll try MD with OA++ then.

20. MeFer

MeFer Registered Member

I was tested some similar programs run together on CLT last year.

OP : 320/340
    SSM : 240/340
    RTD :240/340
    Comodo :340/340

OP+SSM : 290/340
    OP+RTD : 270/340
    Comodo+SSM : 330/340
    Comodo(disable)+SSM : 240/340

So, i decided to not run two hips if i don't know how configured.

21. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

My opinion is that although there is no conflict or overkill, almost all actions will be scanned for the same thing twice, so the decision it is up to the user.

Personally I would try something else alongside OA++, covering a different aspect, like a behavior blocker or a sandbox or keyscrambler

22. Gen

Gen Registered Member

Pete, what if you allow a file thinking its safe but was actually compromised without your knowledge, an AV or AS is still useful in that case, no?

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

OA & MD -- both of them are HIPS. Both of them have hooks, no doubt. Running both of them together is a recipe for instability.

Just because Pete' computer can handle this situation, does NOT mean yours can.

Further, a computer may handle both of these HIPS without a murmur until, perhaps many days later, some sort of complex action occurs -- a Windows patch is installed, for example, or a security program such as MBAM installs a major upgrade -- and POOF! your computer locks-up or goes BSOD on you. You might then falsely assume that the latest action (a Windows patch, for example) caused the problem, whereas it was actually caused by the OA-MD instability & the Windows patch was simply the straw that broke the computer's back.

I didn't dream this stuff up. The instability of 2 HIPS running together is well-known -- just surf this forum for a while. You will see plenty of similar comments.

My suggestion, FWIW: run one or the other -- MD or OA, they're both excellent -- but not both.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  24. kjdemuth

+1 Agreed. Your asking for trouble running both at the same time. I would suggest OA, since MD can be kinda chatty at times.

25. Peter2150

Yes and no. First I am very careful where I download stuff I am going to run. I also use Sandboxie. Finally I do run the run the OA ++ version, which has the advantage of no scanning of every file, but allows me to check a single file.

Also if I do want to run something marginal, I first try it in a vm machine, and if Okay I will run it only my main machine, after imaging and archiving with FDISR.

@bellgamin. Totally agree. I am running the combo on 3 different machines with no issues. But I also am aware of the possible issues. So I never update any of the programs or windows with out having a trusty FDISR archive ready to bail me out. Usually if there is an issue, you know it on reboot. If all is okay there, by testing a few programs, I can tell pretty quick if everyone is playing okay, or fighting. Been doing this on these 3 boxes for quite a while.

Good example of the point though is on my AMD desktop I had been running SSM with OA with no issues. Then on a recent OA upgrade the box Blue screened on install. First test was to uninstall SSM and all was well. So I installed MD, and it was fine, so yes point taken. You can't do this blindly.

Pete

PS. I think not having any tradition AV's avoids many of the conflicts. It seems when people report problems with OA, many times and AV is involved somehow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.