Malwarebytes Paid version

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chattycathy, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

Does anyone have the paid version of MalwareBytes and if so, how does the updating work? The reason I ask is apparently I've been spoiled with the virus programs, etc. automatically updating. I had been using the free version of SuperAntiSpyware and got tired of having to update it manually. I checked the settings, etc. and saw that with the paid version it would update at startup and every 8 hours. It had such good reviews so I trusted it and made the mistake of purchasing it. But, AFTER I had purchased it, I found out that if you're not online when it tries to update, you're out of luck. If you get an update, you have to do it manually. I had assumed it would try again if I wasn't online when it tried the first time but I was wrong. How does the purchased version of MalwareBytes update work? Do I have to be online at the right time with it or if I'm not, will it try again later? I was no better off with the paid version of SuperAntiSpyware than the free one and I don't want to make that mistake again and I don't want to stay online most of the day either. The free versions are not a true "trial version" of the paid not even for a few days or I would have found out how the updates worked on either of them. Thanks for your time.

2. guest

guest Guest

Can you tell us you current security apps? maybe we can help you to find a good solution for free.

BTW the free versions of superantispyware and MBAM will not protect you on real time, only on-demand scan.

The updates in the paid version are automatically when you are online.

3. chattycathy

I'm afraid that the paid version of SuperAntiSpyware doesn't update automatically except for when the program first starts if you're online and if you're not, you're out of luck or if you haven't in 8 hours you are notified. I purchased it and mine did neither. I still had to update it manually or it didn't get updated and their support couldn't help. Their professional version advertises to update automatically but it doesn't do it and there were others that were having the same problem.

Ok, right now I am using Avira AntiVir Premium 10.0.0.603, Online Armor paid version 4.0.0.45 and SuperAntiSpyware 4.38.1004 free version. I am not using SuperAntiSpyware Professional because I'm waiting on my refund. It wasn't any better than the free one so why bother.

4. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Just a thought, have you tried using task scheduler to set your own update frequency for Superantispyware?

Edit: just re read your post and its not updating so i guess this wont help.

5. guest

guest Guest

I haven't use MBAM and is a very specific question you can try asking them: http://www.malwarebytes.org/contact.php

A possible substitute to MBAM and free could be Immunet ( http://www.immunet.com/ ) they are about to launch the final version a 1 or 2 weeks and It's compatible with your AV. It's an additional protection but I cant say if is better or worse than MBAM.

You can always use the free version of MBAM and do a scan every week or 2 weeks.

6. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

MalwareBytes Antimalware paid will update when you go online using the following schedules:

Real Time
    Hourly
    Daily
    Weekly
    Monthly
    Once
    On Reboot

Choose whichever fills your need.

SourMilk out

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

So far, I have not succeeded in getting MBAM paid to update automatically. I have set it to do so, but always have to do it manually.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

No problems on XP with scheduled updates (every 2 hours) even though I don't use realtime protection.
    I am running OA++ as the only protection realtime.

Gerard

9. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I experienced the same thing on my VM.

Thanks.

10. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

On my laptop,i've set MBAM to update itself every 2 hours,and to recover if missed at 1 hour.Although,keep in mind that it will check for updates every 2 hours(or how do you set it),but that doesn't necessarily mean there are updates every 2 hours.For example,i get about 4-5 updates a day.Without any intervention or manual update.Just a pop up balloon that notifies me.

11. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

If your computer is on, it checks every 8 hours, if your computer is off and 8 hours lapses it will auto-check for updates AUTOMATICALLY. So if ANY 8 hour window passes, it will check automatically.

In our upcoming version 5.0, we are allowing the OPTION to auto-check on start up, auto-check every X hours, etc.

12. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Did you contact our support staff so we can find out why it's not updating? We are more than happy to assist you!

13. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah I have mine set for every hour. YOu have to go into scheduler and add the task or edit the existing task.

14. chattycathy

Yes, I went online to your forums, and they advised me to get a support ticket which I did. I may not have given them enough time to work it out but between the fact that others were having the same problem AND the fact that I had tried to use the trial version before I purchased it and it kept telling me "trial period expired" when I had NEVER used it, I was cautious and suspicious of this program. I had been using the free version but not the professional. I asked the person who was helping me if you offered refunds and they replied later that they had requested a refund from accounting and closed the ticket.

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

And please add updating at proxy server with authentication and try to include incremental update like most AVs. In the current format of update we have to download the complete database...:doubt:

16. Casper0x

Casper0x Registered Member

Scheduled updates worked fine for me when I used to pay for mine

17. JoeBlack40

Can you show me please where do you have scheduled updates in SAS Pro?:rolleyes:

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Right click system tray icon and click control center (preferences, options). Go to the updates tab, check off automatically check for program and definition updates every 8 hours. I think that's it.

19. JoeBlack40

Thank you,but this is predefined.This doesn't mean scheduled updates.When i can set a program to check for updates at the interval i want,(for example MBAM,which i set it to update itself every 2 hours,as i said in a previous post),that mean SCHEDULED UPDATE.At least IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.