Malwarebytes or CounterSpy v3 ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jean Marc, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean Marc

Jean Marc Registered Member

Hi all,

I currently use Antivir Personal Edition and I intend to add an anti-malware software.

Between Malwarebytes ans CounterSpy v3, which one would you recommend?

Thanks for you advice,
    Cheers

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will advise you to use malwarebites:thumb: it is very good malware destroyer:thumb:

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

have no experience with Counterspy,MBAM is one of the top tiers here on Wilders so it should be good,my experience sofar is that it generate quite a few FP's,at least more so then the other big contender SAS.
    But anything else in dealing with his purpose of killing nasty stuff its one of the best out there, it seem to be great at removing stubborn malware.

4. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

I would not use MBAM as it has a tiny database and concequently does not detact the vast majority of malware.

MZ

5. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I have used MBAM(free edition) numerous ocasions to clean malware(job that it does great).I have no experience with it's realtime protection.
    Counterspy i have not used never but all the reviews i've seen(not publicity paid magazines reviews,most people comments here and other security places indicates that it has a more solid realtime protection,but again i have not personaly used it.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

not comparable,

Counterspy is a clear winner here for me, less FP's, greater detection.

v3 is very good.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

clearly you have no idea what your talking about.

That said, if your looking for just a scanner to use every so often, MBAM is the best choice, if your looking for real-time constant protection, Counterspy V3 is better, especially with it's active-protection feature (kinda like a HIPS).

8. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

I do know what Im talking about. It is a fact - proven in tests that MBAM is about the worst AM available. One man band, no technology or resources.

If you can show me any group test of AM scanners that puts MBAM anywhere near the top I will eat my hat. All the tests I have seen put it last.

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

why would i need a stupid test, as ive said before, wen did tests become the bible or something like that, that we base every decision off of? learn a little more about these things before you say something. BTW the tests ive seen u post have ALL been tests, testing AV + AS programs, and im not sure if you know this, but MBAM is PURELY an AS app!!!!

MBAM has cleaned thousands of people's computers of infections, and i believe in real-life use and sucess over some guy testing samples. and on your comment about "one man band, no technology or resources" comment, would you say then that Defensewall, or SandboxIE, etc. are also useless programs? your just making yourself look dumb. Im not saying MBAM is 100% detection, but it does a hell of a good job at what it is supposed to do.

10. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Lab tests. You can eat your hat (and mine as well).

It is the real world that counts. From my own experience I can tell you MBAM removes very stubborn malware. Yesterday I have cleaned a pc with a rogue AV. MBAM detected & removed the malware where its main competitor found nothing. See also reviews in the Beta news forum:
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/alwarebytes_AntiMalware/1186760019/1
    Among the reviewers are a couple of computerrepair people; these experiences count ! Do some googling and you will find more people who have been saved by MBAM; their own gold medal sucker could not help them.

Your remark about MBAM having a (relatively) tiny database (post #4) can be true, because in another post Bruce Harrison (from MBAM) has written: "If every AV already detects something I dont even check it a second further . If next to none do it goes right to the top of the list . In the end this makes MBAM very good at dealing with what the AVs are very bad at".

I have not used counterspy; cannot tell about it.

11. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

For on access protection, CounterSpy. Download and install the free version of MBAM also.

12. mrwillywonka

mrwillywonka Registered Member

What about the PC Tools anti spyware software?

The PC mag reviews are pretty lame for reviewing this sort of stuff and AVs.

13. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Just use both. CounterSpy for real-time and MBAM on-demand.

14. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Malwarebytes is a free scanner, good at cleaning certain difficult bugs. It also has a paid for version with realtime protection. If you are unlucky enough to get infected, by all means use MBAM; however just having it for pointless demand scans is largely an exercise in futility in my opinion.

The name of the game is to prevent infection in the first place, and for that CounterSpy has a definite edge (though I would recommend setting protection to high rather than relying on the default setting, since you thereby get the benefit of 'execution protection' which is a different level of protection than that offered by MBAM or SAS). However you do have to pay for CS, there is no free version.

If you use the free version of AVPE then CS would be a good compliment for the lack of anti-spyware definitions in free AntiVir, though even the free version of AntiVir will have good antispyware capabilities because it does well against the trojans that seek to drop spyware; it just will not be as good against spyware installers themselves (eg stuff bundled up with something else you may install). If you use AntiVir Premium that should not be an issue, but of course AVs rely on definitions, if something new comes along CounterSpys's execution protection could stop it in its tracks.

15. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Without question.

16. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I clean infected PC's for a living. In my vast experience MBAM detects and removes a majority of current malware which is what most people get infected with anyhow.

MBAM has a freeware version and Counterspy is a 15-day trial. MBAM paid is also a better value @ $24.95 (or less if you can find a discount thru a reseller) for a lifetime license. :thumb: Counterspy is $19.95 for 1 yr. :thumbd:

17. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

If you are going to spend money, you might as well get CounterSpy. That way, you can download the free version of MBAM to complement both Avira and CounterSpy. I know MBAM's license if lifetime, however, CounterSpy is not that expensive.

18. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, all:

I have licenses for BOTH.

If you do not wish to spend mooney; just get MBAB free version--it will give a decent protection--the most out of an on-demand scanner.

If you want spend wisely, then get Counter Spy; its active protection (real time) acts like a HIPS, while scanner covers your files like B 52's carpet bombing, let nothing unturned. As far as MBAM's real time ? not to my liking, at least not a MUST HAVE. In fact IMO, we may have given it an over-rated value in the past. So did SAS

19. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

MBAM's on access abilities need some improvement. However, I would be hard pressed to find another AM scanner that does the job that MBAM does. Ask those that make a living 'cleaning for the clueless'.

20. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

The "cost" of each is why some could argue that MBAM is a better "value". That said, from most indications, it seems that CounterSpy could be the better "product". I think if the prices that you quoted above were reversed....nearly everyone would be in the CounterSpy camp. Sunbelt could do themselves a world of good and attract a boatload of new customers if they introduced a "deal" like Agnitum currently has for Outpost for a short period of time......

21. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I partially agree, it seems to me the strong point of MBAM and SAS is removing current threats which most AV's and AS's can't detect/remove. Their prevention isn't the best when compared to products like CounterSpy, which also has a HIPS component.

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Keep everything sandboxed and/or virtualised (Returnil and the like) and a occasional ondemand scan should be enough to keep you worryfree.
    Its transparant,light and easily to manage.Think about it ! :D

23. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

Agreed - adding Sandboxie will offer real (not smoke and mirrors) protection - and its free - or $22 for the registered version, which has a bit more functionality.

MZ

24. progress

progress Guest

... and it has a lot of false positives! :thumbd:

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

true, but i think people are people a little too negative towards MBAM, lets not forget what it is, offers free scanner with removal, a decent detection rate and decent removal rate too, its a good tool. :thumb:

I just think counterspy is a bit more professional, offers greater detection is a better all round antispyware product than MBAM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.