Malwarebytes Msconfig Box Won't Uncheck

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by johnny_castle, Jan 1, 2023.

1. johnny_castle

johnny_castle Registered Member

I use Malwarebytes for on-demand scanning as needed. I have all the internal program settings turned off so it won't load a start-up or update. But for some reason, when I try to untick the Msconfig box, it simply won't let me. I even checked services, and it says it's disabled. And I tried doing all this in safe mode. It's really weird. It's like a springy ball. I click the uncheck and apply and it's like it just bounces right back.

This is new behavior for me and this program. Could always easily uncheck this before. What's blocking it now? This is with the latest version, as of December 2022.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

:( You told us absolutely nothing about your computer. We don't know what version of Windows, or if this is even a laptop or PC.

If you have the free version of Malwarebytes, nothing should be starting with Windows. So what exactly are you seeing.

If this is the Premium version of Malwarebytes, why disable it? You paid for the real-time component and it works.

3. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello @johnny_castle:

I sincerely apologize to @Bill_Bright for undercutting his relevant post above.

If you would like to download & run a MBST - Gather Logs https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mbst then, go to the Malwarebytes for Windows Support Forum, and select “Start new topic”, followed by attaching the mbst-grab-results.zip report archive. Then, with the best description of your system's issue, a thorough analysis can commence by qualified Malwarebytes staffers/helpers.

Thank you.

4. johnny_castle

I feel I explained it pretty darn well. Well enough for some to at least make an educated guess. But regardless, here it is...

Windows 10 Desktop running a free version of Malwarebytes. As posted above, this is used for on-demand scanning only and not real-time protection. I think that bit of info should have suggested, as it stands to reason, I would not pay for it and then turn it off. And again, as explained above, the crux of the issue is that it should easily uncheck in msconfig (like all the other apps there) when I hit apply. Like I've been able to do for years using this program. But now, it doesn't. Why? Again...that's pretty specific. The info I gave is not nothing.

5. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello @johnny_castle:

I have asked the Malwarebytes' Forum Manager to weigh in on your topic there.

Thank you for the logs/data you posted there.

6. johnny_castle

Thanks so much @1PW. Now THAT seems super helpful. I look forward to their thoughts/insight. As I said, I've been doing this exact process with Malwarebytes for years, and never had this problem. I'm sure it's something quirky in the new build perhaps. But will see what they say. Thanks again!

7. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

:thumb:

Cheers!

8. Bill_Bright

I learned many many years ago, when it comes to technical discussions, assumption often lead to mistakes and misunderstandings. This is especially true when those discussions take place remotely and the expertise and skillsets of those seeking help is unknown. So we as helpers must not assume those seeking help have even a basic, common sense understanding of what's going on - especially since they are seeking help. So, when providing technical help, it is not wise to make too many assumptions when we don't have all the facts to do so.

That's works both ways. You assumed, for example, that everyone who has the Premium version of Malwarebytes paid for it. Not true. They could very easily be using the free trial version. Or it could be a second hand computer that already had Malwarebytes installed on it.

No doubt in your mind, you think you did. That is NOT a criticism - just a common observation. I note it was not until you read my reply did you explain you are using Windows 10 and that it is a desktop and not a laptop. Plus, from your initial post, we didn't even know if you even had the premium version of Malwarebytes.

I didn't say it was nothing. I said you told us nothing about your computer.

You didn't undercut anything. You added information! That's what forums are all about. No apology necessary. :)

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Malwarebytes results are a lot lower than those from Defender.

But what's this msconfig thing?
    "msconfig" is a windows tool.

But i consider such questions for the malwarebytes support, please go for it!

10. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

11. johnny_castle

Yes, but I assumed I'll need to take this to the official Malwarebytes forum to get an answer. Unless you might have some insight?

12. Bill_Bright

If you do get this resolved, please come back here (and everywhere else you asked for assistance) and post the solution so others may learn from your experience.

13. johnny_castle

Wish I could report something more, but they weren't able to give any additional solutions. They pretty much just said turn all the settings off, and if it's still checked in msconfig, just ignore it and pretend like it is. So annoying, but oh well. But thanks for the help though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.