Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware v1.50 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hayc59, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware v1.50 Out and About :)

Overall Improvements:
    1. Dramatically improved scan speed: up to 5 times faster.
    2. Dramatically improved stability of both the scanner and protection module (paid version only).
    3. More responsive: program loads up to 3 times faster, and protection module has lower impact on system resources (paid version only).
    4. New internal detection algorithms enable detection of more real-world malware.

New Features:
    1. You can now add files and folders to the ignore list manually.
    2. Ability to schedule and unschedule scans and updates from the command line (paid version only).
    3. Notifications of blocked malicious websites now include additional details such as type, port, and process on Windows Vista and higher.
    4. Ability to include or exclude potentially unwanted programs (PUP), potentially unwanted system modifications (PUM), and peer-to-peer software (P2P) from scans and protection module detections.
    5. Dramatically improved flash scan (paid version only) -- designed to determine whether a more in-depth scan is needed, in less than 10 seconds on many machines.
    6. One-touch easy-to-use option to keep protection up-to-date automatically (paid version only).
    7. "Warn if database is outdated by:" option now warns if the database is far out-of-date (7 days by default), including for protection (paid version only).
    8. Ability to scan system startup locations for improved detection and to target persistent malware that may be obstructing removal.
    9. Right-click context menu scans now use heuristics.

Issues Fixed:
    1. Improved compatibility with antivirus software.
    2. Fixed issue with "Recover if missed by" setting in scheduler not working correctly on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
    3. Fixed issue with "Recover if missed by" setting in scheduler not working for scans and updates scheduled to run 'Once'.
    4. Fixed issue with Heuristics.Shuriken causing the program to freeze or crash.
    5. Fixed issue with certain infections going undetected by the protection module in 64-bit Windows versions.
    6. Fixed issue with silent scans not creating logs in certain scenarios.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...=0&#entry353243
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Note: Existing users can update via the program updater.

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks hayc59. Updated (installed over beta) and all running smoothly.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Updated while updating the definitions. :p

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Thanks for update :)

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

This thread will not get much exposure in anti-trojan section, users look in anti-malware section for MBAM discussions.
    MBAM isn't a dedicated anti-trojan program, but is also a rootkit remover, malicious tool removal, etc.
    If JRViejo hadn't provided a link to it I wouldn't have noticed.

Other than that it runs well and update went smoothly, no issues for me.

6. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

All fine here

7. korben

korben Registered Member

Go Polish programmers!

updating

8. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

For an XP SP3 system, using the resident updater over v1.46 Pro - no issues. 1.50 Pro is running A-OK with AVG 2011 Free as did the previous version. The suggested MBAM items are in AVG's Resident Shield Exclusion List. Nothing AVG has (yet) been needed for MBAM's Ignore List.

I picked up this interesting item from their forum about the PUP, PUM and P2P settings which will be of interest to the real users of MBAM:
    The default settings are as follows:
    * PUP: Show in results list and do not check for removal
    * PUM: Show in results list and check for removal
    * P2P: Do not show in results list
    If running the PRO version, any item where Show in results list and check for removal is selected, it will also be detected by the protection module upon execution while items with either of the two remaining options will not.

Source:
    -http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=67525&view=findpost&p=344348-

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
  9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

any testing of mbam in realtime out there?

10. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

This functionality is ready to go and we will be ramping up definitions for these starting today. Some lesser infections will go PUP and some delisted ones will be back in as PUP.

PUM will not affect home users at all unless you have a lot of policies set that we attempt to undo. These will be changing over from regular defs to PUM defs so you can turn all of them off with one shot if needed. This will have the greatest effect on corp users were these policies are virtually never malicious.

P2P defs will be added last as the demand for them is the lowest. Just a FYI, P2P defs will only target 2 things when turned on:

Installers
    Core MZ (executable) files

Folders, data, settings, files in share folders.....none will be touched so if there is a P2P reinstall everything should be fully functional again like nothing happened or at the very least all shared files will be retained.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I said I was going to purchase a 2nd license when v1.50 went public, and I did just that last night. I am happy to support such fine software, and feel an increased confidence in its ability to protect my computers.

The overall improvements and fixed items are remarkable, but the new features alone, if they weren't so damn practical, would have to be labeled genius, and that isn't an exaggeration.

--> Right-click context menu scans now using heuristics is awesome.
    --> Adding files and folders to the ignore list manually has been much-needed.
    --> Blocked malicious website notifications including additional details (such as type, port, and process) is very helpful.
    --> Warning if database is outdated is way cool.

The MBAM folks have released a real gem... not just your standard, run-of-the-mill upgrade that promises 'MoreBetterFaster' but is in fact a yawner attempt at self-promotion... these boys are making their money the old-fashioned way, they're earning it!!

My gratitude extended to the crew! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Attached Files:

12. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I just updated to v1.50 and updated the definitions. I noticed that after the update my previous ignore list was not retained. Why can't the ignore list be retained during the update?

Also, MBAM requested internet access when I initiated the first scan after updating. Is that by design? After closing the program and restarting it I initiated another scan and internet access was not requested. I am curious why access was requested the first time and if it will be requested again if I scan again after a reboot.

13. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Regarding the ignore list --

Certain items were not backwards compatible and unfortunately were lost during the update. You can re-add them and going forward they should remain intact.

More technical details: it basically applies to all "registry data" objects you have ignored.

Thanks for pointing that out!

14. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Best program to detect and remove viruses!

I'm using it on my notebook and it is amazing! :thumb:

15. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Yes you right, the guys from Malwarebytes has and still do an amazing job and development of their product. :D :thumb:

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Some people say the scan is a lot faster because it's more optimized? (Files are filtered etc.) :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  17. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

The engine looks more places, looks with better tech and looks faster.

We did not take anything approaching a shortcut here.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I found this excerpt from the Malwarebytes Newsletter quite compelling...

19. BoaterDave

BoaterDave Registered Member

You have a PM! :rolleyes:

20. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I am a big fan of MBAM. I've paid for 4 users in total. My only wish is that it'd become a lot softer on my computer when it comes to real-time scanning. That's the only thing stopping me from using it as my and my family's main anti-malware application.

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

:thumb: Thanks for the info.

22. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

MBAM Pro Version 1.50 (Realtime) with NIS 2011 work excellent together. :thumb:
    Major improvement with the new version of MBAM, faster scans and more.
    I had no problems with this version even when it was in beta. The update from beta to the new release went very smooth, no problems. Excellent job MBAM :thumb:

23. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I am still getting occasional requests by MBAM (free) to access the internet upon initiating the first scan after booting up. Doesn't happen every time and this is after having updated the definitions to the latest. Anyone else experiencing this or know the reason for the request?

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Is this setting checked? Try unchecking it and see if it makes a difference.

Attached Files:

25. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

@Malwarebytes:
    With v1.50 Pro I notice mbamservice for Scheduler Update is going out on port 443 where up until now (v1.46 and earlier) outbounds were exclusively port 80. (I could stand to be corrected on that but I'm pretty sure this port 443 activity is new with v1.50.)

I'm just curious about this. What up with 443? :D

Do you plan on going to 443 connections exclusively at some point in time?

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.