Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SpywareBlaster alternatives

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ooooo, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ooooo

ooooo Registered Member

Please recommend Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SpywareBlaster alternatives FREE and REAL-TIME protection.
    I'm using Comodo Boclean but don't protect against Confickers and crap web sites, i think.

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Secunia PSI to patch vulnerable software on your system, which also keeps an eye on your software and checks them against its database in real-time.

For a pure BB, which is also free and with real-time protection (it's its main defense), I would recommend ThreatFire. To be honest, since I've been previously praising it a lot, I DID see an FP on another system some days ago, but it's way too simple. It's about a silent deletion of a temporary update file for a program called "Spotify", and I don't even think letting it quarantine the detection would do any harm - but there you've it, an FP, at last. :D Back to the point... Compared to other software like AVs and other Anti-malware programs with heuristics and so on, it doesn't see that "oh, this one I haven't seen before", it looks at "what's this thing actually doing". It doesn't care about how new or old a file is - all it's doing is checking what's this thing doing right here, right now. By doing so instead, it doesn't produce FPs, except for the one I just mentioned with no importance :)D), and really gets effective at detecting both known and yet unknown threats very effectively. It checks the target's behavior before even checking against its own black- and whitelists - therefore becoming a pure behavior blocker which makes a very good complement to your security, or even a stand-alone utility.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  3. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

You should also check out DriveSentry as well. It has everything you need in a security app: HIPS, real-time AV & AS - it uses white listing, blacklisting, and community based approval to identify malware.

My only issue with Threatfire is that it does not feature a "deny" option when it comes to installing/running programs. It only has "deny and quarantine". Many people on wilders have commented on this. So it may in fact quarantine legit apps as well. If it only had this "deny" feature it would be a gem, IMO.

Because of this....I switched to DriveSentry and like it alot. It uses less resources than any program that I have used.

Toby

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Have a look at Spyware Terminator. It's free and has real-time-protection. I used it for a couple of years and it worked pretty well, but I haven't tried the latest version (2.5). It's not an AV though, so you would also want AVG, Avast!, or Avira Free.

6. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

I have : Avira Antivir Personal - Free Antivirus9 with defense anti - adware/spyware, System Shield from Usec.at, Hazard Shield from Orbitech.:argh:

PROROOTECT

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

You're right it doesn't include it now. The feature is coming sometime this summer according to the devs., and I've only one case where this would have affected my operation, and then it was still about real malware. It's an exe installing malware before launching its software, but using TF at the time to remove it would obviously have removed the exe as well in that case. :doubt: Luckily Norton already catched that malware, so it took care of it if I decided TF to let it go - it was the only solution at the time.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

+1

I am not sure how well Avast, AVG and now Avira do against spyware but they all have anti-spyware components in their free programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.