Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.41 + Comodo Firewall (with Maximum Proactive Defense+)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thegreatoutlaw, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegreatoutlaw

thegreatoutlaw Registered Member

I'm currently running Malwarebytes 1.41... do you all recommend this product? If not, give me the best quality AV's to use along side of COMODO please.

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Just to clarify, MBAM is not an antivirus. While it may detect and remove some viruses it does so much more. It excels in hard to remove malware which includes rootkits, scareware/crimeware, spyware, adware, and more. If you're using the free version then it does not offer real-time protection. Another quality on-demand scanner would be Hitman Pro.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=236732

If you are actively seeking a resident (aka real-time) antivirus then be forewarned that asking for the best will result in a myriad of opinions. Take some time and read the posts in this forum and draw your own conclusion. IMO you can't go wrong with Avira or Avast! free. The FOTM appears to be MSE.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=250425

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i do recommend MBAM as maybe an add-on to ur system, very good program but dont use it solo.

4. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

As you have Defense+ set to proactive, you should get warnings which allow you to deny anything harmful before it can have an effect. The risk there is that if you do not use the anti virus component of Comodo Internet Security, you will get many more popups, so you have a greater risk of allowing something by mistake.

That is why I use the whole of CIS. Even though at this stage there may well be better avs available, I believe that to be a safer combination when there is an increasing risk of running into malware not yet in av databases.

I do like to scan with MBAM occasionally, but so far the only thing it identified turned out to be a false positive.

5. thegreatoutlaw

Thank you for replys :D I currently have the paid for version of Malware 1.41 with real-time protection, that still isn't good enough protection? I love CIS but I don't quite feel its AV is top notch yet compared to some of today's best AV... or maybe im wrong, if anyone has multiple sources of COMODO's AV being put to a malware test show me please :D I just want an AV that does its job well and not even tell its running :D i know right, thats what everyone wants lol

6. firzen771

well since ur running D+ as well, just use the comodo AV to limit the popups by what are already identified malware, then MBAM will just cover anything thats missed.

7. thegreatoutlaw

sounds like a plan :D I installed the AV component. Have you ever had COMODO AV give you a update error about insufficicent resources?

8. firzen771

ive heard of some issues with their AV updates, not sure about the specifics tho. :doubt:

9. thegreatoutlaw

I currently have Spybot and Spywareblaster installed. Should i remove them since I have Malwarebytes? Or keep them?

Also, do you use IP Blocker feature in Malwarebytes? I like the idea, but it seems to be blocking sites that i know arnt harmful.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  10. gery

gery Registered Member

I do not think that these two are really effective nowadays but one can prove the contrary. I do not use them in years. MBAM or even SAS free or paid are very good for supplementary scans if anything happens.

11. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

The execution of the feature is somewhat flawed IMHO. I can't use it myself, as it blocks access to certain IRC networks. It also interferes heavily with p2p software.

Some might consider these as high risk activity, I don't. I know what I'm doing.

12. thegreatoutlaw

Well I will give SAS a shot, i see lots of people are using it now over free products like Spybot and Spywareblaster. I uninstalled Spybot, should I get go ahead and uninstall spywareblaster as well?

13. lordpake

Why? It's immunization feature is useful, especially if you use Internet Explorer.

Spywareblaster additionally does not consume system resources, just run it every once in a while, update and apply changes.

14. thegreatoutlaw

I felt the sameway, just don't want a false sense of security and a program thats not helping me. Keep spybot uninstalled or should I continue to use it?

Also, on one of the threads here I read that its good to exclude your games and defrag tool with your current AV? Is this true? And does that mean I need to exclude Malwarebytes and SAS from Comodo as well?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  15. lordpake

I personally always create full exclusions to other security software when possible. This includes their behaviour and opened files. Lessens the chances for conflicts and slowdowns if both scan same files when the other accesses them.

What comes to games, that depends. If there seems to be problems or slowdowns then maybe.

What comes to Spybot, you are already using MBAM and SAS. So I don't see great need for it.

16. thegreatoutlaw

So I switched back to NOD32... so in Exclusions I would add the folders of Malwarebytes...SAS...CIS...and my defrag tool to it? that all?

17. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Norman Malware Cleaner just cleans finds a lot of stuff and it's free. When you compare it with MBM. SBS it's okay I have all 3. One catches what the other misses. Really don't need to use these software though. Can't hurt to use them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.