Malwarebytes Alternative for Anti-Ransomware and Anti-Exploit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by M_G_H, Oct 25, 2017.

1. M_G_H

M_G_H Registered Member

Hello,

In December 2016, I purchased a 3 PC Malwarebytes Pro Lifetime licence from ITFactory,ca. I have purchased other items and software from them and never had any issues, that is why I purchased MBAM from there as well. I installed on 3 computers and they all activated without problems.
    The other day, I went to clean up and get the 2 other laptops (wife and daughter) ready for the Fall Creators Update and noticed that MBAM had reverted to the free version, for how long, I do not know. Thank God that Windows 10 activated Windows Defender seeing that there was no antivirus. Both wife and daughter are not tech savvy and had not noticed it.
    Contacted Malwarebytes and they say too bad this is a 1 PC licence now, no warning, no email to indicate this and yet they allowed the 3 activation's in December. I show him the receipt and he says need to show my manager, good bye. I really did not expect this kind of treatment from a reputable company but I guess times change and customers are an after thought.

So, I am now looking for a new product that has good Anti-ransomware and Anti-Exploit, what do you all recommend? Is the Anti-Exploit in the Fall Creators Update as good or comparable as the one in Malwarebytes? I did use Hitman Pro Alert before, is that mainly anti-ransomware?

I was thinking of the Fall Creator Update, Hitman Pro Alert and Webroot or Norton. Would this work together and would it cover many of the crap that's out there?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I think the problem may be that ITFactory was not an authorized seller. What seems to have happened is companies purchased volume licenses then sold off unused licenses to individuals or to these reseller. That violates the terms of volume licensing and Malwarebytes finally decided to put their foot down on it. And frankly, "if" that is the case here, I don't blame them. Though it sure would upset me too.

One thing that is suspicious to me is the fact you say these were "lifetime" licenses you purchased in 2016. Malwarebytes did away with lifetime licenses way before 2016 (in 2014, I believe). People who bought legitimate lifetime licenses are indeed, grandfathered in. I bought 6 before they were changed to recurring renewal fees and all of mine are still "lifetime" even after being upgraded to the new 3.x version.

Sadly, many of these programs have been modified (often to bypass registration authentication). Consequently Malwarebytes cannot ensure they are safe either.

I would contact ITFactory and complain to them and see if they can help.

3. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I seldom get involved in others' security setups but if I may, this seems atypical of Malwarebytes! I don't use this software, and I see that your license(!) expires in a couple of months but....OK, I upgraded to the Fall Creators Build already. I enabled SmartScreen (a first responder for the browser) and set to Block. I have Windows Defender with several adjustments via PowerShell for enhanced security, and on the paid Windows version, I use Group Policy to further enhance Defender's strength. I also use HitmanPro Alert and Sandboxie and this is a secure combination. For non-risky users like me, it's strong and has no impact on the OS performance. Some, actually many, report Windows Defender negatively impacts the performance; try it first on your systems before deciding to look elsewhere.

It's unreal what you reported but understandable if you've had enough. For guidance in dealing with Windows Defender in the FCU, you can consider starting here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...ntivirus-that-windows-10-needs.383448/page-49

Edit: Ah I see you went thru a reseller. OK.

4. Bill_Bright

It may seem like "many" when you spend a lot of time in the trenches but in reality, it is not many. What is "many" is people who complain about anything with the Microsoft brand on it just because it has the Microsoft brand on it. :(

I don't believe there is any security program that has not had complaints about resource hogging. In fact, I believe "resource hogging" became synonymous with Norton and McAfee years ago and they continue to this day to be accused of resource hogging. Considering how deep anti-malware programs have to set hooks to thoroughly monitor and protect operating systems, I think it is amazing our systems run at all without gobs of RAM.

I too use Windows Defender on all our systems here and have had no problems with resource hogging, or malware. But regardless your primary security solution of choice, you should always have a secondary scanner just to make sure you (the user and ALWAYS weakest link in security) or your primary scanner did not let something slip by.

As for being a non-risky, IMO, it does not matter. Even the best security solution can easily be defeated if the user opens the door and lets the badguy in. So keep Windows updated and don't be "click-happy" on unsolicited downloads, links, attachments, and popups.

5. imuade

imuade Registered Member

MBAE and MBAR can still be installed as a standalone SW, they both are perpetual beta and free

6. M_G_H

M_G_H Registered Member

I see what your saying and I may want to try them again down the road, a very long road, but for now I do not want to use their software. These companies should have a page on their website that shows all the approved re-sellers so that we can verify prior to purchase if they are authorized or not. If it is on the website, than I apologize, I didn't see it.

I did try Webroot along with Hitman Pro Alert with the new Falls Creator Update and seems to be running very smoothly for now. I couldn't activate Windows Defender because it knows Webroot is installed, which I wouldn;t run 2 AV's anyway, but I did activate the periodic scanning of Defender as a second opinion.

We'll see how this setup goes but I do like it for now.

7. M_G_H

M_G_H Registered Member

Just an update to this, ITFactory.ca just called me, not email, but actual phone call and apologized for this. I won't go into the details of the call about what happened and who is to blame, but they were very courteous and very friendly on the phone. He offered to give a very large discount on other products or reimburse the purchase. Since I'm now testing Webroot and then maybe even test Eset, I opted for the reimbursement and will check out there website once the trials are done, if they have the better price, I will definitively by from them. Great service.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

After testing ESET, I would highly appreciate if you could drop me a pm with a short feedback on how you were satisfied with ESET, what you liked about it and what you didn't like that much. In case of any issues, feel free to ask in our official forum at https://forum.eset.com.

9. M_G_H

M_G_H Registered Member

Sure Marcos, will do.

10. Bill_Bright

I think a list of official "download" sites is doable but I don't know if is possible for retail outlets. That list might be miles long.
    Not sure how this works with Webroot, but with Malwarebytes for example, you go into the Malwarebytes Settings > Application > Windows Action Center and tell Malwarebytes to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center". Then you can run both at the same time.
    Since you, the customer, seem satisfied, I say "great service" indeed! :) Thanks for that.

PM feedback is not what forums are about. Forums are about "open" discussions where everybody can share, learn, and participate.

Since M G H is the thread starter, I say let him post his findings here (good or bad) so everyone can learn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.