Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by puff-m-d, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

So you're saying that the "anti-ransomware" module is still performing badly, very disappointing.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Anything that detects Ransomware by ransomware behavior means all the rest of MBAM3 has failed and YOU ARE INFECTIVE!

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A lot of security experts advise that.

4. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Fuel the fire, BS.:rolleyes:
    CEO= overpaid worker with a fancy outfit.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

There were so called experts on Aussie TV suggesting to pay to get your files back. I nearly had a fit! :eek:

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

While I don't believe in giving money to criminals, if you pay the ransom then you probably will be able to decrypt your files. Of course the best option is to take proactive measures and backup your system and important files, so you are prepared incase you got hit by ransomware. But, from what I have read about ransomware, typically you will be able to get your data back if you pay the ransom. For example:
    There a good reason for this. If the news spread that whe you paid a ransom, you would not get your files back, then there would be no no incentive for people hit with ransomware to pay the ransom.

However, in the case of WannaCry, some doubts have been raised as whether you will be able to decrypt your files.
    https://www.wired.com/2017/05/wannacry-ransomware-hackers-made-real-amateur-mistakes/

7. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

8. Telos

Telos Registered Member

I never inferred they shopped the window (could have), but as it's presented it is out of context.

Why not show what was tested (settings, etc.) that led to that window, while validating that the malware which triggered that window is representative of the recent attacks. And document that bi video as well.

A screen grab (?) alone of an alert window proves nothing. Basically, the article says "trust us"... yea, sure, no prob... why would I ever doubt.

That said.... what confidence is there that the protective power isn't hampered by the same programming care that went into v3, which now at 3.1.2 seems to be a step back from 3.0.6.

9. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Anti-Ransomware module doesnt have settings anyway, but I understand your point of view.

In a world that anyone can test their claims and post the results on the Youtube, they must be crazy to "lie", but to be fair almost all antivirus vendors did the same thing (some didnt even care to post screenshots).

I think that I will do some tests with it in the weekend, shouldnt take more than 10 minutes.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

How is 3.1.2 a step back from 3.0.6? For me 3.1.2 solves all of the issues I had with previous builds.

11. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Ditto for me.
    Works like a charm!

12. Telos

Telos Registered Member

2 steps forward, 1 step back. What worked trouble-free for me in 3.0.6 no longer does. One shouldn't have to clean install every micro update to "repair" the installation. Who does that?

Check their forum for reports of 3.1.2 problems. Obviously not everyone is impacted.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Could you say specifically what doesn't work trouble free for you in 3.1.2?

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Heaps of people, including me, posting on the MB forum that can't enable Web Protection and scans will not run for more than a few seconds before cancelling. QC is just great! :thumbd:

15. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Yep! Just happened to me an hour ago. Web Protection won't enable. v3.1.2.

Huge thread on MB's forum on this issue. Same as Krusty and me as the post are within an hour ago.

As we said many times already, MB just cannot get it right! What is it now, 6 months or more since v3 first released?

Robert

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Add my name to the growing list of "I can't turn on my web protection and I can't scan my system" complaints. :(

17. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Same thing here this morning....really disappoints me. Hope they fix it soon!

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sounds like a whole different issue to me. ;)

19. Roberteyewhy

On the same page as you.:)

Guys, something else must be happening as so many people are posting that this issued is just occurring within a hour or so.

Robert

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I was facetiously referencing the fact that you stated MB cannot get tit right.

21. Roberteyewhy

LOL. Missed that.

22. Roberteyewhy

This has to be something with the Update service on MB's side not working properly (definition corruption or something like that). That's why everybody is getting this problem at the same time.

Cannot keep up with MB's forum as sooooo many posts coming in.

I'm just going to wait it out (No uninstall/reinstall). Just going to keep checking for updates.

Robert

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  23. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Indeed, web protection is broken for me and many others. Seems to have started with today's updates.

Hopefully, its serious enough for them to fix it straight away.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I stopped MB from starting with Windows and exited out of it. I've always thought MB was the weakest link in my machines protection anyway.

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

They might have pulled the bad update because when I'd seen two machine displaying Web Protection was disabled I closed MB on the third machine that was still working. I just started MB on that machine and it isn't finding any updates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.