Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by puff-m-d, Nov 14, 2016.

1. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I am not able to get into windows setting anymore. I can't see how MB could cause this. I did do a insider update the other day as well as trying out Hitman Pro.
    I had made a backup a day before all of this so I guess I will have to go back to that day and see where all went wrong.:(

2. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I also encountered that temporary problem, after latest MB3 stable and HmP.A 592 update. Not saying it is connected to either though.

I typed 'settings' into search box, and it opened. After that, all has been OK.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Version 3.1 is working fine for me, although there are still annoying issues with the user interface which I guess will be fixed eventually.

With "lower priority of manual scans to improve multitasking" selected, CPU never goes much over 40% when scanning, which is a huge improvement. As I've stated previously, I want to keep using my computer while I run a scan, so not having excessive CPU use is very important to me. It took around 75 minutes to complete a scan.

When I exit Malwarebytes from the systray icon, no Malwarebytes process remain loaded in memory. This is good, as I only use Malwarebytes for very occasional on demand scans. Despite having a pro license, I have all realtime protection components disabled, as I have no need for them.

However, I do have a question about exploit protection. I have never used it in Malwarebytes, so know absolutely nothing about how it works. Does it cause issues with some applications? At one point, I was using HitmanPro for exploit protection and it caused problems with some apps. I did want to manually add exclusions for some apps (there was no option to whitelst an action when it was blocked), so I stopped using it.

4. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

On my secondary laptop, I run MB3 with only exploit protection on (= MBAE), and have had no issues in that regard.

5. XIII

XIII Registered Member

After upgrading to 3.1.2 I could no longer open Microsoft Excel until I uinstalled MB (disabling real-time protection was not enough).

6. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your input on v3.1. Maybe, later [on this], no longer BETA version.

Only time will tell...

Robert

7. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

I just installed 3.1, and the Malwarebytes Service [mbamservice.exe] remains in the "Stopping" state after exiting the systray icon. A reboot is apparently the only way to clear this process.

This was also happening in version 3.0, so I was hoping for a fix here ...

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Sorry, forgot to reply. But when your system is already guarded with third party security tools they are both unnecessary. The only thing they are good for is producing useless noise. I often run Process Explorer 10 to 20 times a day, and you must be into self torture if you're willing to put up with those annoying UAC alerts.

9. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I am retired now and don't mind the alerts at all. all the time in the world. Not in the fast run lane anymore. I also run Process Explorer and Autoruns a lot.

10. Roberteyewhy

So, what is the consensus of the-out of beta-v3.1?

Going to turn off 'Install Application Updates' as it is becoming bothersome.

Robrert

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have the service set to manual, and it does get stopped when I exit Malwarebytes.

12. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Stable to most people, many problems and bugs fixed, but it still slowdown too much my machine.

13. Roberteyewhy

Thanks, What is Malwarebytes Service memory usage?

Nothing has changed from, forever. MB say's in ALL their change log...not! Posted earlier, now back to 295.9.

Sorry, but they just cannot get it right!!

Robert

14. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Been running version 3 since the private beta, other than a few minor hiccups in one version its pretty much run flawlessly on my computer. Unfortunately not everyone can say the same, the way I determine how buggy MBAM 3 may be is by looking at their forum, you can pretty much tell if a version is buggy, how fast they are fixing issues, etc. by the amount of posters on the forum with problems and if these type of posts are increasing or decreasing daily. The amount of posters with problems for this version exceeds the amount on the previous version...just saying. TBD how fast they can fix these, and they will fix these.

15. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

Yep, same here, but still ....

16. Roberteyewhy

"TBD how fast they can fix these, and they will fix these."

Out of context from poster...

...But, when?

Robert

17. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Who knows, took them awhile to get version 2 right, taking longer this time.

18. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

19. Nightwalker

20. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The only way to know is to test it, because it depends on your system configuration, but normally it shouldn't cause any problems with protected applications. You might want to check out MBAE first.

No surprise here, I assume MB's anti-ransomware module has become more mature in the last few months.

21. Telos

Telos Registered Member

Well... there's no "proof" of that in the article. Only an alert window, out of context, that infers MBAM interceded. Why no video? To date, MB has produced exactly zero demonstrations of the effectiveness of v3.

And meanwhile their CEO states that paying the ransom to recover your files is the best path forward. That advice seems conflicted to me.

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I did quite a bit of testing of MB3 against ransomware, and overall it had about a 90% effectiveness. But when I turn off everything but the ransomware module that was a different matter. It dropped way down into the 50's The best defense overall, is backup backup backup. and fequently

23. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Although I've been critical of the appearance of their marketing, it's been part of a bigger, less openly discussed issue of mine (and others) regarding what the vendors say to the public about their products and how the products actually handle threats, preferably via more than one testing source. It makes me cringe to see MB's marketing pages-- because the hype currently doesn't match the published performance outcomes.

Edit: Was trying to be encouraging about their software, trying to tell them to at least look more serious. To date, this is the response I got on the forum:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/200293-the-tone-makes-the-music/

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017
  24. Nightwalker

There is this alert window in the article that shows that Anti-Ransomware module blocked the threat.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/ARW_vs_WCry-1.png

I dont have reasons to think that Malwarebytes shopped the alert window, it would be very bad to their reputation if they did.

Nowdays anyone can test their claims, just get a old build (but not too old) of MBAM 3, dont do a update and run WannaCry.

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Oh indeed, I don't believe they would ever photoshop a claim. Also I know they are working hard to improve all the detections.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.