Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by puff-m-d, Nov 14, 2016.

1. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

Right, lol :gack:

2. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Service did not start on my machine until I uninstalled MBAM 3.0 and did a clean install of MBAM 3.1.

3. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

"Awesome"

4. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

I think this "machine learning based anomaly detection" present in the new beta may be based on Saferbytes technology.

https://press.malwarebytes.com/2017/02/07/malwarebytes-acquires-saferbytes/

Maybe @ZeroVulnLabs could tell us more about this new feature.

Edit: It doesnt seem to be the case, this new project (Malwarebytes Incident Response Beta) seems to be more related to Saferbytes than machine learning.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/197726-welcome-to-the-malwarebytes-incident-response-beta/

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  5. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Yeah, here, _CyberGhosT_, I was inspired by your :gack: to post this very question in Malwarebytes forum (again). If that page was animated, I can imagine the robot mechanically picking up a worm and swinging it your way, either that or eating it, lol! Marketing! Imagine, wouldn't it be great if your :gack: was instrumental in prodding MB to revamp its overly blue downloads page?? lol! We'll see!

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/200293-the-tone-makes-the-music/

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

:thumb:

7. guest

guest Guest

Only one of many (short) love affairs ;)

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hi mood,

Are you my unofficial biographer? :D

This beta does seem more stable than the previous 'stable' releases. I've got it working fine [so far] on all three of my machines now.

9. guest

guest Guest

Now they need a decent detection, I wonder why they don't setup a multi engine cloud service with metascan like Zemana or SecureAPLUS. It worked quite well for them.

I don't think they are able to get high detection rates by themselves.

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I installed the new beta and ran a scan. While the scan completed, Malwarebytes froze after it finished ignoring and quarantining files. It said it has finished quarantining files, but the UI was not responding. Mybe it was an isssue with ignoring thousands of files and registry keys. I was able to close Malwarebytes from the systray icon. It's not a big deal, as I only use Malwarebytes for very ocasional on demand scans, and probably won't run it again for a month or two.

On second thoughts, maybe it was still doing some processing, even though it said it had finished quarantining files, as it was still using aroung 25% CPU time.

11. guest

guest Guest

:D
    If nothing bad happens in the next days, then it seems to be a good release :thumb:
    But time will tell

12. _CyberGhosT_

lol, one can only wish :p

13. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Yes.....

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You have thousands of files and registry keys being detected by Malwarebytes that have to be ignored? Why not just exclude them?

Also, it's common for the UI to be unresponsive during the final processing/quarantining until it's finished.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  15. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Curiosity got the better of me, and I made the jump and installed 3.1 beta.

No issues, and seems to be running well with only MBAE module enabled, plus daily scheduled scan on secondary machine. Primary machine on demand only.

16. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Clean installed v3.1. Tested and everything working as it should! Malwarebytes Servise down to 220 from 290.

No interface (GUI) changes. Still, cannot reset Protection History and no Exclude option from Web Protection alert.

Well in Protected Applications, cannot set to OFF then reset to ON. It just stays OFF. They just cannot get it right...so sad!

Just restarted and still cannot set to ON.

Just tried of MB v3. Discharge/Fire all of the R&D persons! Especially, the "Manager" of that division. In 5 mins., I already found a problem.

Unless someone chimes in and says that they have no issues-as stated above; going to have to reinstall.

Robert

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  17. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Ok. Clean install and Protection Applications can now be turned ON or OFF.

Robert

18. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

That's too much work in my opinion. I find it easiest to run a scan and then uncheck anything I want to keep. When I get Malwarebytes to process the threats, it gives me the option to ignore the unchecked items just once, or permanently. In this case, it detected Torch browser, which I sometimes use to download videos.

19. _CyberGhosT_

It's all good, yours is a "reactive" approach while some prefer the "Proactive" approach of hunting and whitlisting, neither is wrong
    it's just a matter of user preference. ;)

20. fblais

fblais Registered Member

3.1.1 beta update:
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/200230-malwarebytes-version-311-beta-available-for-download/

=========================
    Hello all--

I'd like to invite you to try out our latest beta version of Malwarebytes -- v. 3.1.1.1722 -- available for download from this link.

You should be able to install directly over any earlier Malwarebytes version you might be running.

Here's What's New & Improved:

Performance/protective capability
    • Multiple enhancements result in reduction of memory usage
    • Faster load time and responsiveness of third-party applications
    • Improved performance of Web Protection
    • Faster Malwarebytes 3 program startup time and responsiveness of user interface
    • New detection and protection layer with machine learning based anomaly detection (to be deployed gradually even if it shows “enabled” under Settings)
    • Improved Self-Protection by requiring escalated privileges to disable protections or deactivate a license
    • Enhanced malware protection techniques and remediation capabilities
    • Added an automatic monthly scheduled scan in Free mode

Usability
    • Added ability to control the priority of manual scans on the system
    • Added setting to turn off ‘Real-Time Protection turned off’ notifications when protection was specifically disabled by the user
    • Added ability to exclude the last website blocked by Web Protection via the tray menu
    • Fixed several defects related to configuring Custom Scans, including selecting child folders and fixing issues with touch screens
    • Fixed problem where a right-click context scan appeared broken after scheduled scan due to misleading "Cannot start a scan while another one is in progress" message
    • Fixed issue where you could not add or edit a scheduled scan in Spanish and some other languages
    • Fixed issue where scan could appear stuck on Heuristics Analysis when it had actually completed successfully
    • Fixed issue where Self-Protection setting would fail to toggle correctly after an upgrade

Stability/issues fixed
    • Fixed several crashes in the Web Protection module
    • Fixed issue where Ransomware Protection would be stuck in ‘Starting’ state after a reboot
    • Fixed a conflict with Norton that caused web pages not to load and plug-ins to crash in Chrome
    • Fixed issue with WMI protection technique in Exploit Protection that could cause Office applications to crash
    • Fixed several crashes related to the service and tray
    • Fixed many other miscellaneous defects and user interface improvements

Please take it for a spin and let us know your feedback by starting a new topic in this forum.

Thanks!

Edited 38 minutes ago by bdubrow
    Updated download link for 3.1.1 build -- main change is updated anti-exploit protection

Becky Dubrow
    Director, Consumer Products & Strategy
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://www.malwarebytes.com/images/staff.png&key=8a97e634d72da5ae4a019c6e83812ae4480853cc45e62497cf69a2ade3317be3
    Follow us: Twitter, Become a fan: Facebook

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

:ninja:
    Awesome! :argh:

Thanks. Clean install and it is running great here so far.

I see their latest cleanup tool also removes an annoying dead leftover entry in CCleaner from MBAM 2.

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Except on one machine for some weird reason.

23. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Chromium (portable) works with all the modules (Web protection and Anti-Exploit)?

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Adding individual files would be a PITA, but adding folders would be easy. Still, your way works fine too :)

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I unloaded MalwareBytes from the tray and installed 3.1.1 "over the top". A reboot wasn't required and it is working fine :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.