Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by puff-m-d, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Yegor Efremov

Yegor Efremov Registered Member

I tried this today based on these forums. But ran into some issues and bugs and also a general slowdown. Then final issue was it kept locking up the PC when I tried to uninstall it. I ended up having to disable premium trial, disable self protection and exit the product then uninstall it and finally ran the MBAM-Cleaner just in case. I wasn't too happy with the time put into it and will check it out some other time. The interface looks great though and it has some nice features.

2. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

What's on the inside that counts, like a beautiful lady. I hope that's not sexiest what ever that means.:argh:

3. Telos

Telos Registered Member

No. It seems like you are contradicting yourself. You say "What's on the inside that counts" then in the next breath you extol the external. Not sure how this applies to MBAM since we can't see the internal without decompiling. ^_^

4. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Sorry it is so hard to understand :eek:.
    De-compile and then show results just saying, with all the negative posts (from here and Mbam forums and elsewhere) otherwise I will stand on my comments.
    Thanks for trying. :) Sorry to hurt your feelings PM me I will send you some crayons, and hot chocolate.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. Yegor Efremov

This program is a nightmare. A family member ran MBAM Premium so I uninstall the old one and put this on. Now the machine won't properly load into windows without crashing. I'm done with this product for now. I miss 1.75!

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Sorry you had problems, but it's not very helpful to the thread if you don't supply some details such as operating system, other installed security software, error messages, etc.

7. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Have to agree on 1.75. Ran great on my setup with nary a problem. I still have the installer for it and am considering going back to it.

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I can't recall ever having issues with v2, and I think that would be a much better option, considering that v1.75 is almost four years old, and v2 has better detection.

9. Yegor Efremov

I agree 2 has better detection technology but when 2 first came out it had issues so I rolled back to 1.75. Also inlaws liked 1.7 better. I have Chicalogic installed on their systems which is just 1.75 skinned for a reseller and it accepts MBAM codes fine.

http://www.chicalogic.com/products/pc-shield/download

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The issues you had with early versions of v2 were most likely fixed in later releases. I don't see any good reason to be using such an old version. But that's just my opinion.

11. guest

guest Guest

I doubt that an old version will have a better detection than a new one. Maybe it was better 4 years ago, but not nowadays.

12. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

feedback: although i like the new IU the buttons on the right side in sections - eg update signatures - are pretty much too small. and the middle part is also to wide. not yet a friend of it, nothing tested else only usablity. v2 is more pleasing.

13. Telos

Telos Registered Member

Once set up MBAM remains in the tray; so for me the UI is of little importance.

14. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Given the time its taking to update the "components" the first non-beta release was a farce.

15. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

@Telos - nice for you if you are not concerned with the UI ;) or are you some kind of co-programmer of mbam v3?

16. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

One question and one problem with MBAM 3.x:

Question: Is there a way to make MBAM 3 automatically update its malware defs like 2.x did? My customers are not happy about the 'out of date' popups.

Problem: If you defrag the OS partition and it contains the MBAM 3.x files and executables', Windows 10 Anniversary Edition 64bit becomes unstable, unusable, and I have to do a hard-reboot by shutting the power off and rebooting to fix it.

Other than that, I have quite happy with the new release.

17. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Kdcdq

what defrag program are you using? I been using Diskeeper and haven't noticed anything. I just leave it set to auto defrag and never seem to have to run a manual defrag. also my 3.0 updates automatically. you don't have a firewall stopping the updates?

18. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Vopt. Been using it for years without a single problem.

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

How did you figure out that MBAM v3 was the cause of the instability after defrag?

20. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

That's a fair enough question. The instability occurred the first time after installing MBAM 3 and running a defrag. I then performed the same install of MBAM and a defrag on a second machine which resulted in the same instability. The next time I ran a Vopt defrag on each system I terminated MBAM before running the defrag and then started MBAM back up after the defrag operation was complete, resulting in normal operation on both computers.

21. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Yes, the program is a nightmare. Admittedly, it works on some people's computers but I am pretty sure that it doesn't on many.
    Malwarebyte's people have their customers jumping thru hoops trying to help them.
    Why can't they do it themselves?
    How long has it been since they have offered any updates? Must we wait forevero_Oo_Oo_O?

22. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Just to add my three cents here, I just feel disappointed that MB3 appears to have been pushed out the door incomplete and inadequately tested in an apparent attempt to get it out there before the holidays. I don't know if that was an attempt to increase sales as Christmas gifts, or just to push the product out before the development staff took off for the holidays. But either way, the "decision" to release it with so many known issues was disappointing.

Frankly, I feel they should have pulled the update way back in early December, instead of allowing so many to become so upset and disappointed. In fact, I recommended Malwarebytes do just that here, then they could attack the problems after the holidays with a refreshed staff. But they didn't - another bad decision, IMO.

MBAM has been the gold standard to compare against for years but now, that stellar reputation is tarnished. Maybe that's the problem - "the bigger they are, the harder they fall." The problem is, IMO, confidence in the company has now been shattered. :(

Because of these conflicting notices about Real-time protection, users, especially less experienced users, cannot be confident, or assured they are being protected. How can users feel comfortably using Malwarebytes as their primary anti-malware solution if MB3 keeps reporting its not working? Because of that, I can no longer automatically recommend users download and install Malwarebytes. And that is really disappointing. And I definitely will not be recommending anyone pay for this product until these issues have long faded out of my rear view mirror.

The constant annoyance of being told Real-Time Protection layers is turned off should have been found in beta. Yet still, nearly 6 weeks later, that problem still exists - even after an update was released to fix it. None of the More Information (?) buttons on the Protection tab work. How on Earth did that make it out of Beta? Several other "bugs" never should have made it past beta either.

Releasing the 3.05 update that didn't fix or even address the more blatant issues did nothing to help Malwarebytes' reputation or public relations - in fact that may have hurt it further :( because that too was a let down.

The "Real-Time protection layers turned off" popup became too intrusive to me on this machine. Contrary to the 3.0.5 upgrade comments made here, I still got them throughout the day after applying the patch, not just at boot (which I could have lived with). So I ended up rolling back to 2.2.1.1043 via the link provided by Firefox here. That still works just fine.

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I just kinda blasted on their forum. A test on 22 malware samples showed me their Ransomware module doesn't work. Their answers always sound like they are script writers for some of the fraud help desks. Really sad

24. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Script "readers" anyway. I am sure the people really in the know are working hard to fix the problems and the ones answering the inquiries are like any Tier 1 tech support - taking the brunt of the unhappy customer's wrath.

25. Pete

Online marketeers call your type of questioning "poking a finger in a soft belly" and while MBAM-reps keep evading to answer your question, you just repeat the question pushing the finger a little deeper in the belly :D when it starts to hurt, they finally answer the question with marketing talk without tests backing up the claims, so you release the knee knocker with full swing :argh: and they fall nose first at your feet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.