malware that passes thru security

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lunarlander, Feb 20, 2021.

1. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

Hi,

I think I am infected with something. It got past BitDefender GravityZone, Sandboxie and OSAmror. And it changed the character mapping of my keyboard so that the letter 'u' became '4'. That stops me from logging on, because my username has a 'u'.

Rebooting the machine 'fixes' it.

I don't know if swapping keyboard layouts requires admin rights or not. If not, then the attackers has found a way to bypass admin rights and hassle people.

At this point I don't know what it is? Is it an exe, is it browser javascript?

What do you guys think ?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's not malware - you've pressed the NumLock key. Press it again and it will be fixed. The following link contains suggestions of how to keep it disabled.
    https://www.top-password.com/blog/3-methods-to-disable-numlock-on-a-laptop-keyboard/

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

:D

4. Melionix

Melionix Registered Member

Thread of the year for sure.

5. lunarlander

Boy do I feel dumb :)

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Don't beat yourself. That's side effect of spending too much time on Wilders. When something's wrong people's first thought is always "did I just get hacked?" :)

7. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

No need to feel dumb. You're just a litle paranoid, just like me and most other people here on Wilders.;)

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Great responses, in the true spirit of Wilders! :thumb:

9. roger_m

There's no need to feel dumb. Just bear in mind that when your computer exhibits unusual behaviour, it usually won't be caused by malware.

10. lunarlander

Hold on a sec. Now that I am home, I looked at my keyboard. It requires holding the Fn key down and then press the NumLock key to turn on the numeric keypad. I never use the Fn key. I will wait and see what the attackers do next.

11. roger_m

Attackers? Sorry to disappoint you, but no one is going to hack into your computer and turn on NumLock!

12. lunarlander

I like debates. The thing is that the attacker may not be able to do more sinister things because they will be kicked out by BitDefender.

13. roger_m

There is no hacker. Num Lock may have turned on if Windows Update upgraded your computer to a new build of Windows 10. If not there will be some non malware related reason.

14. lunarlander

OK, I'll listen to you roger_m. There was a Quality update that came in on the 20th. So you say it might have turned on Num Lock. That's a new angle. I was thinking along the lines of some root kit remote control app, and that hackers like to hassle, puzzle and torment their victims.

15. lunarlander

Now today I was trying to go to Settings > Windows Update > View Update History and I couldn't click to enter that choice. Nor could I click to enter Advanced Options.

I had to restart the laptop in order to access those 2 menu options.

Foreign interference suspected.

16. itman

itman Registered Member

Postings like this on the web. Here's one of a similar vein:
    https://forums.tomsguide.com/thread...rus-messing-with-my-typing-windows-10.186534/

17. lunarlander

OK that excerpt about it being a scam is far fetched.

I found some mis-configurations left over when I was testing a BitDefender feature. I left some firewall rules allowing inbound access.

So I restored from golden image, takes 20 mins.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.