Malware Found

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Mullyman, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mullyman

Mullyman Registered Member

I recently downloaded a product from c/net download.com....the program was Merriam Websters Dictionary and the publisher was iFinger...when i ran my ad-ware i found that the publisher added "MALWARE" to this program..i posted a review on the site to alert consumers of the potential danger of malware.....my review was removed from the site....i find this highly disturbing that knowing a publisher is adding malware to a product and they continue to support it ....it just shows that not to trust any site and that c/net supports corrupt publishers and does not have the best interest of their customers in mind...bottom line...."C/NET SUCKS"

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi Mullyman and welcome to Wilders.

It is not uncommon to find malware loaded into software whether paid or free. I have discoverd malware loaded in pre-built computers, malware in computer accessories software. When found, all you have to do is remove it which is what I do. In the majority of cases removal of the malware does not adversely affect the software in question. I also read somewhere that installing malware is going to be more common than ever. We may as well resign ourselves to it and learn to deal with it. Cheers.

3. Mullyman

Thank you for the welcome Peaches4u.....but i have to disagree with you...yes i too expect to find "Adware and Spyware" hidden in software.... and that does not make it right, but i certainly don"t expect to have "Malware" hidden in any software...as you know "Malware" is a carrier of trojans and viruses...do you honestly expect the consumer to put up with that...i as one do not...and i have wrote and voiced my opinion to many...who entirerly agree with me....and that is going to be the only way to deal with it...i think that anything that is forced upon you with out your knowledge, and consent...should be illegal....and one day it will be.

4. Peaches4U

Hi - I agree with you that anything that is forced upon you with out your knowledge, and consent...should be illegal....and one day it will be. However, currently, how is one to know when Malware, Adware, Spyware, is included if the publisher does not reveal that fact? In effect you accept the crapware merely by purchasing the product whether or not you know crapware is included also. So, you takes your chances and then deal with getting rid of it. Would it do any good to complain to the software developer? Well, I tried that and I got an email sent to me with removal instructions and a worm in it. How do I know there was a worm? - Wormguard prevented it from executing. Not a very nice thing for a known company to do when caught red handed. So until there is a law prohibing this practice or there must be a disclosure of crapware included, I think we have to deal with the situation whilst at the same time complain like the dickens to powers that be, to bring about a law to protect the consumer.

5. Mullyman

Exactly what i have been saying all along...if we don"t speak up they will keep jamming their crap down our throats.....the whole point is,don"t sit back and let this happen...let your voice be heard...one voice may be silenced...but many will achieve....well it"s time to get ready to welcome in the new year...have a good one :cool:

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi MullyMan,

You never said what malware was identified as being found in that product. Are you saying a specific virus or trojan was found and if so, which one?

I agree in principle with your stand against any malware, none should be present in software, but it'd be nice to know what this was exactly, especially if it was a true virus or trojan as these are much more malicious and often destructive, versus say a piece of tracking software (spyware) and ad based item (adware).

7. Peaches4U

LWM - Does Ad-Aware detect trojans? I was of the impression that it only detected spyware and adware, tracking cookies, etc. You brought up an interesting point and from re-reading the post, I think Mullyman must have meant Adware or Spyware given that the scan was done with Ad-Aware. I think SpyBot detects certain trojans. Am I wrong in my assumptions?? o_O In my case, I knew it was Spyware by name recognition.

8. Mullyman

My mistake...i should have said everything i ran....i ran "ADWARE" and "SPYBOT"...ADWARE detected some malware while SPYBOT did not...and your right SPYBOT does recognize some trojans...and i did write him to inform him,that this publisher was not on his list, to which he replied back it would be added....but i also ran a program called "TAUSCAN"..which is strictly for locating trojans and viruses...i can not tell you the name, as i deleted it from quarantine file....sorry for the confussion....but my only aim was to alert people of my findings...regardless if it is "spyware,adware or malware....crap is crap no matter what name it disguises it self under.

9. LowWaterMark

No problem, Mullyman. :)

Yes, we all need to be watchful for such problems. Scanning downloads is always a good idea, and scanning your system after a new installation is also smart.

The only problem is that we really don't know exactly what happened in this case. Your summary was "bottom line...."C/NET SUCKS", however a lot of people use C/Net and have no problems. Also, iFinger is a legitimate publisher of Merriam Websters Dictionary software, so we can't really say that that product is no good, either.

If you do run into such a thing in the future, you should try to get more specific information which could then be followed up on.

10. Mullyman

MYy statement that c/net sucks refers to the fact that they removed my review...with out checking out my complaint...i think that if i had a site downloading software,i would certainly want to know that it is reputable...and yes i do agree with you about the product...it is a good product....my comments were directed towards the publisher iFinger...and the fact is that iFinger is an legitimate publisher...does not necessarily mean it is an honest one...and it is not!..and believe me, next time i encounter a problem i will have all the facts...i just didn"t think people would be defending adware and spyware and malware so much....if i am not believed...then download the product and find out...i was just trying to save people the aggravation of doing so....i as one would appreciare knowing such information...then i would have the final decision if i wanted the product or not.

11. LowWaterMark

We're not defending adware, spyware or malware.... We're simply trying to determine the facts. When you post a statement like the first post in this thread, you have to expect people to ask about all the particulars. People want to know the details so they can be sure about what's going on. That's all this is.

12. Mullyman

I agree with you...next time when i make a statement, i will have all the facts! :cool:

13. LowWaterMark

Cool! :)

Oh, I have download that kit for future testing when I get a chance. Scanning the installer and the kit inside the installer shows no malware, but that doesn't mean there isn't something that could turn up after installation. If I get some time, I'll try installing it in a sandbox and see what it does, though that may be a while.

14. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Well, I took the liberty of downloading the program in question from C/NET - have a look at the screenshot and tell me if that is the program Mullyman?

I did a full system scan _before_ installing it with Ad-aware/ SpyBot S&D/ SpySweeper all with current updates, just to rule out false positives.

I then installed the program, let it do it's online updating, and scanned again with the aforementioned anti-spyware applications - I also scanned with KAV/ Trend Micro Internet Security/ BitDefender Pro 7.1.100 and AntiVir XP just incase :D.

Bottom line.........absolutely _nothing_ was detected ;).

Regards,
    Jade.

Attached Files:

15. LowWaterMark

Thanks Bowserman !!

I followed your lead and installed the dictionary product in a sandbox configuration to track all system accesses... It found nothing malicious. I also reviewed their license and privacy statements and there doesn't appear to be anything of concern there. I did scans with F-Prot, Panda, Spybot and Ad-aware and also found nothing with those tools. No system startup changes were hilighted with HJT, either.

So, I can't confirm anything malicious in this.

16. Mullyman

Well i too downloaded it back on to my computer....and you are right...i found nothing....i know i was not seeing things or dreaming o_O....when i downloaded this product in the first week of December i know what i found,as many of my friends did also...and we wrote to iFinger and to c/net about our findings...and complained vigorously....but i did notice something...the version that i downloaded in December was 2.07...the one that i just downloaded now is 2.1....and i stand 100% behind my original findings....but i am glad to see that you took the time to check it out.....maybe complaining worked! who knows.

17. LowWaterMark

Truly, who knows!

Thanks for the report Mullyman! It is because we all ask questions, present facts and research what is what, that we figure these things out. Keep on doing what you are doing. It has the best intentions, so it is all good! :)

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.