malware defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by STONEMAN, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STONEMAN

STONEMAN Registered Member

hello all,
    could you tell me if malware defenders protection is fine at default settings
    or would you have to do some configuring yourself, as from reading on here its very granular,but not being overly techy myself and seeing some screen shots looks a bit daunting for someone of my iq.im very happy with my setup in my sig but like many on here i like to try different things.
    thanks in advance

2. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

For me, the default setting is quite what it should be to give great protection.
    You can always go wild, and start setting writing restriction in Windows subfolders, but that will give you not really more security but rather a tornado of popups, which of course nobody really wants. Bit if you're willing to restrict it that thorough, BE SURE to first set MD in learning mode, and do a couple of system resets/shutdowns, before putting it in normal operation again. (But then again, your added security could already be breached without your knowing).

So my proposal, Xiaolin made the best default setup for secure yet bugging-free usage.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

See post from Xiaolin: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1481885&postcount=2

"MD will alert you for keylogging actions when using the default rule set. You need not to do anything special.

PS. Several system applications (including explorer.exe) are allowed to access keyboard by default. And MD do not prompt accessing keyboard if the process is the foreground app."

4. STONEMAN

i was thinking of switching online armor for MD,not because its bad, as i think
    its great software.its very easy to use and doesnt annoy me with
    to many pop ups.im probably bored and fancied a bit of a change
    anyway thanks for the replies. :)

5. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

You will get some pop-ups with MD. I ran all my programs with MD in learning mode and rebooted in learning mode several times. I get some pop-ups still with application interaction. The longer you use it and create permanent rules the less pop-ups you will get. I only created special rules for a few security applications (permit - trusted) so they don't have any conflicts with MD. I also added a few rules to Firefox to make it a bit tougher. The default rules provide good protection. If you like HIPS you'll love MD. It is highly configurable.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree;)

7. STONEMAN

i think MD will be a bit to much for my level of knowledge at the moment,im always looking for something new even though im happy with what ive got,like quite a few on here:) .
    the funny thing is, if i had not found this great site seven months ago
    i probably would not have heard of any of the programs im using today,including a few others that i have.so a big thanks to everyone on here, great job!

8. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I am not a computer expert and using MD. It does have a free 30-day trial. Main thing is to leave it in learning mode for awhile and reboot a few times in learning mode. You want to allow most things while not running any infection pathways (IE, Firefox, etc.) and you know your system is clean to begin with. There are simple HIPS like WinPatrol Plus and DefenseWall you can check into. It looks like you have a solid setup already though.

9. STONEMAN

i have a licence for defensewall but dont use it with my setup as i use sandboxie and OA hips.i also have winpatrol which i do use and should have put that in my sig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.