Malware Defender to block file read access

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by eremit, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eremit

eremit Registered Member

Howdy. In my first post, I would just like to start by saying this community has teached alot about computer security, so thanks for that. :)

Now back to the matter in hand. I was looking for a solution to make certain files to be read/executed/modified by only pre-determined program, and that the same time block all other read/execute/modify actions from the other unlisted programs.

For now, the only app I found that could do this is Malware Defender.

I have two questions:

1) Is there another program that could do the same?

2) Is there a point in doing this in terms of security, or is it just a placebo, to make me feel better?

Thanks in advance for the inputs. :)

2. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Welcome to Wilders, eremit :)

I don't know the answer to first question. It is the only software that I used with this functionality. But I don't know if you can achieve similar protection using other HIPS software.

I think that in terms of security this is great feature (one of best for me). You can specify which programs can access which data. It's like ACL on steroids :)

Using this, you can improve your overall security. You can control which software can access you sensitive data and prevent other "unauthorized" software from getting it. As an example: only Keepass had read access to my password database. Even if some malware got installed on my system, it couldn't get to the database...

3. eremit

eremit Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, tomazyk, and also for the welcoming. :)

You read my thoughts... That's exactly what I am planning to use it for.. :D As I am planning to replace LastPass for Keepass.

4. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Yes, Malware Defender is very flexible and strong if you know how to make the rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.