Malware Defender - New HIPS from China

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by johncage, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´ve checked it out and I must say that it looks interesting (GUI also looks nice), and I wonder how good the system analyzing tools are, I mean can they spot rootkits and stuff? But it´s not really good enough to replace my SSM/NG combo, it´s not exactly more easy to configure and doesn´t really seem to cover more bases.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Trying this MD myself and so far so good. I like it on early review of it's results and thru my testings with it. Seems to be a concientious enough effort, because you know darn well theres been others that fall well short of this MD.

Short-Hand Early Review

Stability: Running stable enough on my enemic 512MB memory system, however i do detect some minor slowdowns on occasion. Don't know if this is related to a memory leak or not, but closing it down and starting the application back up seems to bring it and my system back up to speed.

Detection: Can't complain. Thanks Aigle for the tests and especially screenshots above. I actually see it jumping up quite a good deal on every test i place a demand on it's sensory perceptions. :cool: I am pleasantly surprised with it's interception abilities to date.

GUI: Well, for me not at all difficult as some of them can be, but then thats a personal preference, but i like the alerts, paths, and other indications in it's features that arouse interest.

The screenshots point to some very worthwhile consideration for this HIPS. It's been carefully planned out then fashioned to suit the purpose which it was intended i think.

Right now i rate this HIPS on a scale of a B+, and hope to return some even more positive results as they begin to show up.

I read in a poll here of a Wilder's member who dropped Comodo, OA, and others for this and is quite satisfied with it.

EASTER

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Anyone purchased MD or going to?

4. xtree

xtree Registered Member

I did. And personally very satisfied. Immediate mail about new versions,
    gives quite a detailed view of your system behind the curtains,
    digs even deeper than System explorer or Autoruns/Process explorer or Winpatrol.
    Takes some time to get used to it but then it's a really good companion IMO.
    A promising app.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  5. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

i tried malware defender 1.1.0
    nice hips , light on resources
    but i think it needs more work
    but in my opinion , it's a very goog start for a classic hips program
    for me passed many tests
    but failed some parts "esp. the 1st 3 tests" of the anti-keylogger test AKLT.exe

any one can confirm?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm just about sold on MD now. Yes like any others, will benefit from some improvements and as far as bugs, i haven't really fell on any of any real importance. The slowdown i mentioned earlier is no big deal and if this was the only version released, which it won't be, i'm thoroughly impressed enough to make it a purchase.

At a time when EQS refuses to release an english version of their latest HIPS, the timing on this app couldn't be better.

EASTER

8. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Well, we don't know the exact reason yet but meanwhile, it's a rather good idea to play with this MD tool. I'll jump in.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Trial has ended so I purchased MD, lets see how far it goes.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what is the price for md?i also saw the sreen shot and i think you you could block some executables with this app.

11. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

$39.95 .Not exactly cheap ....but ....it is updates for lifetime of the product.
    http://www.torchsoft.com/en/purchase.html
    ellison

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for the fast reply.this app has some potential but you have to dig it to discover it.thanks again for replying.

13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Personally i like it.The author has replied to all my emails within a day ,and has sent emails about any updates.I also haven't had any conflicts withit and any other software and and it also seems very stable and reliable in my mind.
    ellison

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you know i always think that a good customer support makes the app even more popular.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

A real PLUS is that care to compile it in ENGLISH too, not just a single language. Add some responsive email response in return. And the UPDATES, which means they intend to fine tune this HIPS along it's production run. That made it for me, i'm in!

EASTER

16. xtree

xtree Registered Member

Like in these tests in reality you will have no bare keylogging/leaking without running anything malicious beforehand or simultaneously.
    And in most cases they are immediately caught by your HIPS which is normal. :D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

PROs-
    +Lowest commit usage of any classic I have tried.
    +Unlike other Sino-sourced HIPS, MD evidences strong interest in customers from Western nations

CONs-
    -No forum
    -No network access control

CMTS
    >I am hoping that Kees will do one of his tutorials on MD
    >I am happy to pay for good security, but I am still waiting to learn of any significant advantages of non-free MD as compared to freebies Comodo FWP & DriveSentry.

18. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I asked Xiaolin at TorchSoft support about implementing simple network access detection and was told it's on the to-do list after the next release of MD.

Nick

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Couldn't agree more bellgamin. ;)

I know i share the same sentiments as many of you too who are simply sick of this cat and mouse treatment despite our best efforts to politely request ENGLISH language in other apps of that origin. Why on earth even post a program that the majority here can't even use?

On a more positive note, looks like one of your concerns about MD will be forthcoming. (as well as accommadate english)

Thanks nick s for that info and your correspondence.

EASTER

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Sorry Bill,

Am to much abroad at the moment for work. Keep our setups steady at the moment (old XP box 3400 Athlon = GW + TF, home XP PC 3900 Athlon = DW + Avira, Vista64 Dual core = PRSC + Avira + Defender)

Regards Kees

21. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

this program seems to be like a Swiss Army knife.
    Apart from 'network access control' I only miss one feature, 'trust all during setup'.
    This would allow an easier start with this multi-tool.

Cheers

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Working with surprisingly effectiveness for me so far. Yes improvements will be forth coming to cover any limitations, but with it's updates and the ambition of it's developer(s), it can only get better IMO.

THANKS easter

23. arran

arran Registered Member

if this Malware Defender program Fails the advanced process termination tests then it is dissapointing.

I personally believe that for a HIPS to be good it needs to have a very good "SELF DEFENSE"

back in the olden days when I was a Newbie I used to get beaten up with Malware and viruses always terminating my firewall and AV and taking over my pc

If a HIPS does not have good self defense then it is completely useless regardless of how many other features it has.

24. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I took a look at MD on XP SP3 (I normally only run MD on Vista), and APT 4.2 does not even enumerate the mdservice.exe and MalwareDefender.exe processes. When I use MD to protect another app, the only APT method that succeeds is "Kill 10" (if and only if Terminal Services is enabled.)

Nick

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks for that info Nick. I hope they DO keep their network access detection REALLY simple. IMO, the trend of merging firewall-with-HIPS into a single application is disadvantageous for those folks who have routers & do not want software firewalls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.