Malware Defender - New HIPS from China

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by johncage, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

This app appears to be yet another *1-man operation* with no English-language forum, no replies to support messages, & no help files. The flavor of the month here, of course.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I had a reply to two emails within 12 hours.It also comes with help files.
    ellison

3. ellison64

A new beta has been released 1.1.0 beta 3
    What's new:
    Added support for adding child application rules, driver rules, hook
    module
    rules, file rules and registry rules to member of application group.
    Added an option to allow running user specified applications if no
    explicit
    "deny" rule is found.
    Added a new choice of rule object to the Alert dialog.
    Added support for sorting autostart applications.
    Added a menu item to remove stale rules.
    Added a Confirmations page to the Options dialog.
    Added an option to disable showing the balloon tooltip when started.
    Added support for remembering the sort settings for processes and kernel
    modules.
    Resolved the problem of being blocked on startup in Vista.
    Fixed a bug in about dialog. The web link did not work.
    Fixed a bug when executing applications without .exe extension. The
    program
    will ask user even a permit rule is created.
    Fixed a bug when writing files in desktop folder. The program can not
    detect
    the action.

I had an email with a link to the beta however i don't see it at the site yet.
    ellison

4. xtree

xtree Registered Member

Version 1.1 is already available for download from the site.

5. ellison64

The new version is 1.1 too but is beta 3.The one currently at site is md-setup.exe whereas the one in email link is md_setup 1.1.0_b3.exe ,so i think the latest beta is not that one,though i could be wrong.
    ellison

6. xtree

xtree Registered Member

Md_setup.exe is the file I downloaded from the link in the email which talks about version 1.1 as the latest.

7. ellison64

Mmm strange...well i guess if it has "remove stale rules" under rule tab then it is the latest ,as that wasnt there in my previous version.
    ellison

8. xtree

xtree Registered Member

I have no such line under rule tab in version 1.1.

9. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Try looking in the Rule menu.

10. xtree

xtree Registered Member

Got it. Thanks.

11. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

If you insinuate that hips aren't good when it's a one-man show, you're not very bright.

12. johncage

johncage Registered Member

As far as I know, MD's developer work very hard and his support is good:)

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

TRUE ENOUGH!

In fact, to the contrary, it's the one-man developers who have totally revolutionized "AND" produced the "BEST" "NEW" innovations in Windows security like never seen or experienced before.

IMHO, an extraordinary turn of events thanks to their individual talents and tireless efforts, and the results speak volumes for themselves today.

EASTER

14. bellgamin

My comment had to do with an APPLICATION, not a person. Your resorting to personalities is absolutely uncalled for.

No need to be insulting, Alcyon. I have not insulted you, so why do you feel it necessary to insult me?

My point is -- 1-man shows have lesser staying power, as has been vividly demonstrated by no-longer-supported Neoava, Winpooch, Prosecurity, CoreForce, et alia.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I beg to differ with the speculative suggestion

...but i don't want to argue the point because it would only prove to draw lines between opinions, and who's is a more accurate assessment, which is not really the point from my standpoint.

The point is, yes, some single developer creators have folded, thats true as pointed out above, but you have to also consider all the other one-man developers who are not only progressing but consistently improving their products and have proved staying power even in the face of today's more aggressive commercial interests.

Back OT: Malware Defender is better left for those who are willing to turn course if they want, but few as they are, the one's that are passing the tests of time are continuing to prove their metal, at least for the time being.

16. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

There are a lot of companies that simply died with their products. Mostly, it depends on market you have a product for.

17. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Quote. The problem is: people, the pc users, don't want to work a little and to learn to use an HIPS; and they don't want to pay money - 30/40 euro - for an HIPS. :( They are always ready to spend hundreds of euro ( or dollars ) for a play station or a game, but not for an HIPS. So we see Neoava and PS die, SSM and Process Guard slow their development, and wish to stop here with the list....
    :( :(

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

How about everyone step back and layoff the personal comments. They are unneeded and actually not germane to the discussion.

With respect to software developed by one-hand versus a sizeable organization.... it's not a given either way. In sizeable companies there are lots of mouths to feed, so to speak. This does have downside implications. The payouts have to be sizeable to be worthwhile. Small companies don't have the extraneous bloat. The key question is whether they have critical mass - that critical mass can be one talented programmer. I seem to recall that Microsoft started with a pair of guys, as did Apple. Both companies began with cogent visions, decent products, and a compelling vision that consumers embraced. By the same token, size is not a definitive insulator against market forces. The PC industry is littered with the remains of once very sizeable companies.

The fact of the matter is that certain product segments are very suitable for a small company or a one man shop. HIPS like products constitute one such segment. Yes, a lot of them have come and gone - the market is saturated and that one factor in the churn going on here.

I use plenty of software products that are the work of single talented programmers. I use them because the products themselves work. Organizational heft is something to look at when evaluating a product, but it shouldn't be at the top of the list, and at the price point that most of these products are at, it probably shouldn't even occupy any of the top few positions.

What I do see is users jumping to the next new thing that has hit the market without seriously evaluating whether it has really been fully completed. We've all seen that occur at this site plenty of times.

Blue

19. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Torchsoft is also the creator of Registry Workshop, my favorite registry editor.

20. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Ok... You clearly don't know what you're talking about and this seems to be your trend here at Wilders. Are you only posting for posting?

21. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

What happens after the trial period? Does MD change to some sort of limited, free version or does it stop functioning altogether?

22. johncage

johncage Registered Member

I think MD will stop working after the trial period expires. Torchsoft doesn't offer free version.

23. xtree

xtree Registered Member

Perfectly agree.
    I just would like to draw your attention to a new initiative. Real help is highly appreciated.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=218867 and
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=219125

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  24. bellgamin

In a way it seems that the links you refer to are asking for a list of answers to every possible malware question, before the questions even arise. I would like to have such a list myself.

In the meantime, here's what I do when a HIPS presents me with an alert asking "Allow?/Deny?"...

1- I search Google for information about the process in question.

2- I check research sources such as THIS, THIS, THIS, and THAT.

3- I sometimes test the process by uploading it to THIS.

4- Finally, if the above sources do not give me an answer, I might ask for help here at Wilders.

25. xtree

xtree Registered Member

What I am looking for is a clear explanation what you can find for example here.
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/attacks.php
    Just to have an overall picture of the different sorts of threats not going into technical details. I have been using HIPS for some years now (PG, AD, PS now RTD, MD ...etc) in a sort of intuitive way but I do not like mistifying this subject. As you say basically the main question is if you have trust in an application or not. If not, you can look for results on the net. That is all. And always be vigilant.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.