Malware Defender "firewall"

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ellison64, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

What are the opinions of folks here of the MD network protection?(default setup straight out of the box).For those who like to use a software firewall for outgoing apps ,would MDs be adequate?.Does it interfere with other firewalls such as windows firewall ,or third party ones?.
    tia
    ellison

2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

For basic outgoing protection, Malware Defender is quite adequate IMHO. It fails the Comodo Leak Test Suite DNS test in the testing that I have done. I have used MD with Jetico for a long time without issue. I have also played around in a VM with MD and Kerio 2.1.5, PC Tools FW 6, Outpost, Visnetic, and probably a few others that are escaping me at this time. All of these firewalls plugged the DNS test failure I mentioned earlier. I didn't have any issues as long as I rebooted once in learning mode after installing the FW.

3. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

ellison, MD's FW is an adequate network protection, only if it is combined with a hardware FW.

I use hardware (zyxel) firewall, windows XP FW, MD & Sandboxie. Thats all my protection, combined with on demand scans with Cureit & AntiMalware.

4. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

5. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

The MD firewall is based on the Base Filtering Engine, the built in packet filter of Windows that is also the core of Windows firewall, so it seems pointless to run both the MD firewall and Windows Firewall. Correct me if I am wrong.

6. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I think you are right. I maybe drop windows FW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.