Malware Defender Default settings

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Badcompany, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hello Forum,
    Installed MD 24hrs ago,Stayed in leaning mode for 30mins while I started all my programs.Since then not one pop-up,I have stayed with the default settings.Is there anything I should change.I like to have only 3 programs in real time, AV FW AS. Am I going over the top with adding MD.
    Badcompany.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

MD's default is very strong. Only needs tweaking if you are a very high risk surfer (or paranoid like me). Bonus: MD will alert you for keylogging actions when using the default rule set. You need not do anything special.

Your set-up -- including MD -- affords excellent Layered protection IMO. I have pretty much the same set-up except I use an SPI-capable router, vice a FW.

3. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

my way of viewing this "learning mode for 24hrs " is like follow.
    put md in learn mode , and do as much software action as u can (open win word, run firefox ....etc) , than export you rules in safe place (just in case) and set MD protection to "normal mode" .
    in this method your pc exposed less to any threat out there. and u get less pop ups in normal mode;)

cheers :)

4. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I added "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\*" to the registry System Settings rules in order to pass the Comodo Firewall Leak Test Suite's "Hijacking : Active Desktop" test.

I also add C:\ and C:\Windows\* file rules to all applications that are capable of accessing the internet (permit read and ask for all others).

I use learning mode as sparingly as possible (i.e. 1 reboot cycle after installing MD). It means clicking many more popups while running apps, but is a great learning experience about what the programs you use are doing behind the scenes.

5. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Exactly, that's what I prefer also, It only takes 1 click to allow a rule permanently, you know what the program does, and you have the option to set "smarter" restrictions, while i don't know what Learning Mode actually chooses.
    Using the manual mode you can refine for example "only read *.dll" in \system32 folder, dunno if the learning mode is that strict.

6. _kronos_

_kronos_ Registered Member

:thumb:
    I use Learning Mode only for the first reboot and to create rules to log in every account.
    After that, Manual Mode is the best:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.